Holy Crap! The New Stax Omega Looks fierce! (Stax SR-009)

Jon L

I think you will be more than fine. The KGSS is a killer amp.

Yeah, it is a damn fine amp and is extremely neutral and uncolored. I feel really dumb selling mine off so fast, especially since they are so hard to come by. One of my more regrettable moves in my headphone journey...

Now that I recovered my freedom of speech, fwiw I have pasted below some bits and pieces of the attempted translation of the Stax interview mentioned in my post above to Alex which started it all.

I intend to go through the end of the interview, and will add anything I can catch (keeping in mind there's pretty good chance the message got lost in translation though …).

arnaud

---------------

Originally posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547356/wanna-buy-the-stax-sr009-should-i/45#post_7385453

I am viewing the new interview from Fujiya Avic and, although I have a hard time catching all the words, Stax is clearly saying the efficiency of the new electrode is superior to old design because they're using an even thinner moving diaphragm. Also, if I got it right, they could make the stator thinner by using reinforcement ribs (the idea is to have the stator as thin as possible to increase its acoustic transparency while at the same time making sure it's stiff enough to prevent unwanted vibration from the stator.

Anyhow, bottom line is that it should be no surprise if the new design is easier to drive...

---------------

Originally posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547356/wanna-buy-the-stax-sr009-should-i/45#post_7386449

BTW, the ribs on the stators is driving the manufacturing the costs up as it's a multi-layer fused together under high heat and pressure. Also at the beginning of the video they show the arc assembly and if I heard it right it's milled from aluminum bloc, hence not cheap either compared to previous designs.

---------------

Originally posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/546214/auditioned-stax-new-sr-009/30#post_7387243

One thing that caught my attention is the mention of a change in policy for the sr009. It would be great if sasaki-san could confirm / correct:

- Fujiya avic mentions that stax gear is popular in japan but also especially overseas

- Interviewer adds that they got request from outside japan right after the announcement ( some of the stax mafia I suppose )

- interviewer adds that unfortunately they cant ship outside japan

- to this, stax answers that sr009 is a special product and that the warranty policy will changr for the sr009 series.

- here's where I am probably not getting it right, but it would seem stax will accept direct returns from customers as long as they provide sales receipt and have registered the product. I guess before you were forced to go through the reseller?

- I will listen again but maybe I won't catch the precise detail.

Another thing of interest mentioned so far is that the design was driven out of "lack of satisfaction" with the omega 2 performance. From my previous discussion with the same stax person, he said the omega2 frame and electrode were designed under certain cost constraints which forced them to make compromises. Not this time, it seems, or at least less compromises, especially for key mechanical parts.

---------------

Originally posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/546214/auditioned-stax-new-sr-009/30#post_7388200

Some more on the Stax interview (question / answers at the end):

> People are surprised why Stax is machining the arc assembly rather than the cheaper formed sheet metal process.

> Stax replies that it's difficult to achieve such a finish unless you are milling. For instance each edge has a kind of 45 degrees "wedge" (I don't know how to say in English) and you can't see it in the video but the finish / precision of the machining is indeed glorious when seen upfront.

> The main difference between the prototype that I could listen to last year at the Fujiya Avic festival (and later on as Fujiya Avic shop during the new year break) resides in the arc assembly / where it meets the headband. No changes were made to the electrode itself, only cosmetic changes to improve the finish.

> About which stax amps are suitable (~37min): 727A, 007Ta, even 600 limited edition amp is suitable. However, at about 38 min he seems to be referring to the importance of the amplifier for optimal sound of the earspeaker but that the price / weight quickly goes out of control if they want to improve the current design. Here, I might be completely wrong, it'd be nice if someone who speaks Japanese could listen to that part.

> People asking if tubes or SS which is better. Suzuki-san prefers SS.

> In regards to the headband design, it is common with the 507 but actually the shape was developed for the SR009 and it was used for the 507, not the other way around. Actually, they expect to use this headband across the line in the futur (as Birgir justified in another thread recently).

> In a sort of tongue in cheek way, they said the color of the housing (brighter than the silver color of the 007a) was not decided before hand but a result of the design. Maybe they're referring to a maker like Ultrasone who probably worked the other way around for the Edition 10 for example.

> Although it is actually a bit heavier than 007a, it does not feel so because of the change in headband support. From my time with it, I indeed could not feel the 009 being heavier on my head. Maybe have to see after 3-4hours of wearing it straight.

Here are some questions I asked the other day and the answers:

Couple questions:

* For the invoice and possible warranty issues with individual units, how shall we handle this? Do you want all the names of the 12 buyers and you could put them on the invoice and I could make copies for them, or just email it? Or do you want to create individual invoices?

* The delivery date on your site says 5/6 but I have read that Japanese dealers are getting units closer to 4/20 from the 1st shipment. Does this mean we are not on the first shipment or is there a chance the units may come earlier?

I am attempting to get an update to the shipping delivery date as soon as possible!

As for any warranty questions just contact us!!! How’s that for customer service? We’ll handle whatever is necessary to get the issue handled!

I’ll get back to you as soon as I know anything else!

009 sale has started and some has got his set already: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547356/wanna-buy-the-stax-sr009-should-i/105.

seems the first batch has only 50 units and the second one will be available in mid May. We are on the second batch then?

Elusive Disc is stating May 6th, for what thats worth

I know there's very little interest for this news on this board, but Gu Sensei over at HF is the 3rd person to post listening impressions and also report good performance of the SR-009 with 727 stock amp, just like I and sasaki noticed. Not saying it doesn't get better when going higher up the chain, but certainly it's something to consider for someone who want to start with readily available and affordable amplifier... Original post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531743/new-listening-impressions-of-stax-c32-prototype/510#post_7428117

I know there's very little interest for this news on this board, but Gu Sensei over at HF is the 3rd person to post listening impressions and also report good performance of the SR-009 with 727 stock amp, just like I and sasaki noticed. Not saying it doesn't get better when going higher up the chain, but certainly it's something to consider for someone who want to start with readily available and affordable amplifier... Original post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531743/new-listening-impressions-of-stax-c32-prototype/510#post_7428117

When you notice yourself typing something like the first line, just stop, go back to Head-Fi and flog your yourself over there. Nobody cares if another person thinks that the 009 sounds ok with the 727 except you because you want your opinion validated. I don't doubt it will sound alright with that amp, but you still don't get the point of various comments made here previously. Drop it already, you're just embarrassing yourself further.

I don't doubt it will sound alright with that amp, but you still don't get the point of various comments made here previously. Drop it already, you're just embarrassing yourself further.

Well, here's progress right there! A few weeks ago, I was considered delusional by simply stating the possibility that the SR-009 might be easier to drive than O2 line. Not sure what I should be embarrassed about.

Nobody cares if another person thinks that the 009 sounds ok with the 727 except you because you want your opinion validated.

I was trying to address the original statement from monsieurguzel (which was actually understandable) about my experience being just one dot and thus insufficient to draw any conclusion. Since then, there has been 2 more dots and it's all going in the same direction. Now, you interpret it as you wish.

Plus it's not like people here don't ever read the forums over there. There's absolutely no point in posting something twice...it's just asking for some whiplash B)

My bad then. I genuinely thought that reposting here was useful as I expected most people here do not follow head-fi at all. Considering how much hateful the comments are regarding head-fi, it's surprising you guys still visit there.

Anyhow, thank you for opening my eyes on how narrow minded this place is. I did not realize how much the discussions here are geared toward a single authoritative vision of what a proper Stax system should be made of! Here's one for the suggestion box: rename the site, herd-case is more appropriate after all.