Holy Crap! The New Stax Omega Looks fierce! (Stax SR-009)

Jon L

A lot less than having to find an original T2 or build one. The sr-009 is just amazing

on both the BHSE and the T2.

You will see and hear soon enough.

Well it took me years to get hold of an original T2 and it was worth every penny (dime), simply transformed the 007!

However Kevin you can't make statements like this and leave us hanging, come on spill the beans what is the SR-009 like.

Just give us a taster of your experiences so far :)

Dr. Gilmore has already said everything I believe is needed to be said:

Yes i have heard them. :D Fixed pole in this case means the rigidity of the stator.

The design of the stator is years in the making. And far better than etched and plated glass, or

copper on phenolic stators. The other pieces allow the earcups to rotate better front to back.

You really want these things.

Welcome to head-case and sorry about your wallet.

Now if stax was going to actually do a T2 version 2, (correctly this time)

with these headphones, the MSRP would likely be well into the $25k range...

As it is, with the diy T2 and these headphones, the results are truely glorious.

I'm expecting about $4500 street price in the usa.

Yep, not cheap. Worth it. Seriously worth it.

Better and non-resonant stators than the he90.

Less internal reflection.

@ Dr. Gilmore: please forgive me jumping in questions adressed directly to you.

Edited by jgazal

Group buy update. Even though the ED site says 5/6, I got this in an email after pressing for more info:

I wish I had more precise news but as with ALL overseas shipments and especially one’s from Stax we can only get approximations for deliver.

Our suppliers can only get the perspective date of May/June. If I hear of anything that changes I’ll let you know immediately!

We certainly appreciate your understanding in this matter.

This whole situation makes me happy that we went through with this pre-order early on. I can't imagine how long it will take for other orders to come through at this point....plus it doesn't help that the dollar keeps losing value...

Btw, PJ is now listing it to 2-3 months...yikes

Edited by monsieurguzel

I spoke with the guy from needle doctor when looking for a group buy place and he was pretty down on Stax and their increased prices. He said his margins were very small and that many people returned the phones which made it a lose-lose situation.

I think a certain headphone guy we all know told me their returns on phones was around 15%? i guess that's not surprising. one way to get around this is probably a mandatory 2-week waiting period (ask how i know this...)

Thanks for the updates, blubliss. I've got these on order from ED as well.

The mafia finally got to me.

Dude! When did you finally do it - that is order the SR009 and BHSE? Weren't we sitting around about a month ago saying how crazy it would be actually buy one of these?

Edited by purrin

Dude! When did you finally do it - that is order the SR009 and BHSE? Weren't we sitting around about a month ago saying how crazy it would be actually buy one of these?

I was originally planning on purchasing some mono-block amps for my speakers, but I changed my mind and decided to "go Stax." I had a chance to hear the Omega IIs again... they are incredible. I used the money I had set aside for speaker amps for the SR-009s and the BHSE deposit.

<blasphemy/> For whatever reason, your Lambdas didn't really do it for me, </blasphemy> but the Omega IIs sure did, even out of a Woo GES.

It also seems that most (if not all) of the head-fiers/head-casers who's posts and thoughts I most respect are all already in the Stax Mafia.

Given many of the Mafia members' high expectations of the SR-009 and high opinions of the BHSE, I was sold on both.

<blasphemy/> For whatever reason, your Lambdas didn't really do it for me, </blasphemy> but the Omega IIs sure did, even out of a Woo GES.

Haha - the Lambdas are ... well Lambdas, and I know you like the thicker more well-bodied presentations. To be honest, I shelf down the treble from 1K with EQ most of time with the 507s. I may just sell off the rest of my dynamics and pick up an O2 just for the heck of it because I get this feeling that the 009s will come in later rather than sooner.

Haha - the Lambdas are ... well Lambdas, and I know you like the thicker more well-bodied presentations. To be honest, I shelf down the treble from 1K with EQ most of time with the 507s. I may just sell off the rest of my dynamics and pick up an O2 just for the heck of it because I get this feeling that the 009s will come in later rather than sooner.

I fully expect to get killed for saying this given the hatred on this site twoards the Amphora.

I think the RWA pre will be an "adequate" source for the BHSE -> SR-009 whenever they arrive. I'll let you hear it with the Siemens CCA tubes I have in there the next time there is a bay-area meet-up. It sounds quite different from Bobcn's Isabellina. Still, the RWA is no Perfect-Wave. Then again, what is?

Horio and I are talking about working together on building a KGSSHV to drive the SR-009s until the BHSE shows up. I only put down my BHSE deposit a few weeks ago, so I don't expect to see it until the fall. As much fun as it would be for you to have an O2 around as well, unless your BHSE comes early I'd probably just stick with the Lambdas and the 323. I agree though, it might be a long wait.

uhhhhh. Probably anything would be better than one of these:

There's a lot between a PWD and that crap.

Funny thing is there isn't actually much of a price gap between those two products... I've had my PWD for over a year and it's been the one steady component in my system that I haven't thought of changing out. I def. have occasional frustration with the bridge, but sonically it's pretty great.

Edited by monsieurguzel

I think the RWA pre will be an "adequate" source for the BHSE -> SR-009 whenever they arrive... Still, the RWA is no Perfect-Wave. Then again, what is?

Sell it and get a proper source, otherwise what's the point of it all? The PWD can be had for significantly less than its MSRP.

Sell it and get a proper source, otherwise what's the point of it all? The PWD can be had for significantly less than its MSRP.

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing exactly that at some point down the road. Lets source-roll when our 009s finally come in.

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing exactly that at some point down the road. Lets source-roll when our 009s finally come in.

You two should get a room.