Holy Crap! The New Stax Omega Looks fierce! (Stax SR-009)

Jon L

Silver is the only way. :) This was very interesting though, plenty of data on how they are made. So they have the old PC-OCC cable (silver stipes) and not the new 6N silver plated unit. That is the stator he's holding through most of the interview and it looks like an aluminum frame with either a mesh or very finely etched electrode. This means a very strong driver so here hoping they stick with SR-007 engineering to anchor the driver into the housing. The SR-507 certainly points to Stax taking that route in general...

Is it just me or does that driver look huge!! Did the original Omega driver have the 8-point star integrated in the driver or was it a seperate piece?

The SR-Omega driver is 90mm across (about 80mm of usable diaphragm space) so it's not surprising. The SR-Omega driver is a resin frame which has the cartwheel supports and then a gold plated copper mesh was glued to that. There were then brass rings which held the diaphragm in place and the dust covers and the whole assembly was stacked inside a resin framework inside the cups. The actual metal is only about 1mm thick which is why I just call them the tin-can...

Edited by spritzer

There wasn't a whole lot of technical information in there apparently. I had a friend who knows Japanese help me translate what he was saying.

He said that there was no official name for the the product yet, but it is code named c32. The frames are all hand crafted. It's being done for the 50th anniversary of Stax. Then he talked about how the thing works in general, what's important in designing the driver and stuff. But yeah, because of the special driver the new flagship is around 300,000 to 500,000 yen. :o

The T2 could be made a whole lot simpler with modern sand and a different take on the design but then you'd just end up with the BH. It will never be a cheap option but Stax are ok with making less profit from the amps then the headphones so they could do something cool...

How much was the SR-Omega priced originally?

180,000 JPY in 1993. I don't know how much that is in today's money.

YouTube - FUJIYAllAVIC's Channel

Anyone speak Japanese to translate??

If no one else gets to it, I'll see about it (even if just the main points).

Edited by Salt Peanuts

(...) That is the stator he's holding through most of the interview and it looks like an aluminum frame with either a mesh or very finely etched electrode. This means a very strong driver so here hoping they stick with SR-007 engineering to anchor the driver into the housing. (...)

(...) Better and non-resonant stators than the he90.

Less internal reflection.

A stator with larger diameter and a mesh with more and smaller holes than O2 force them to integrate a cartwheel to strengthen the whole thing. In the end, there is a less resonant stator with a larger usable area (bass...). Am I Right?

I know I am always asking, please do not shoot me... :-)

Smaller holes within the mesh contribute with a reduction of high frequency reflections, right? Reflection is not such a problem with bass and midrange frequencies (not directional frequencies), right?

It seems that a mesh with smaller holes constrains the bass/mid-bass air displacement so those outer holes need to be big enough for that purpose. I presume that they calculate those hole diameters according to the frequencies, right?

What about those larger wholes outside the mesh? Is bass/mid-bass air displacement flowing through them? Or they are going to be used to anchor the driver into the housing?

I would like to see a simulation of how the Mylar membrane vibrates with bass mid-bass frequencies (I’ve seen them in diyaudio once, but I do not remember which thread). It seems to me that this new stator changes the way/pattern the membrane vibrates.

I does not seem a new Omega to me. This thing is a whole new better model. I think they are not going to discontinue the O2. This thing is a new flagship. Omega name was a reference to the circular stator, right? C32 (apparently the prototype code) might receive a totally new name.

The strain relief looks like the functional MK2 version which is good news. The arc assembly does look like it could be very tall if its stretched out, so I can definitely picture how odd it might look on a person with a big head...:P

I wonder if this is going to be a long stay production model or a limited series like the SR-Omega or 404LE? I'm also wondering where this one falls in the Stax headphone lineup since they aren't pulling the O2, I guess price-wise it suggests flagship.

C32_1.jpg

FUJIYA AVIC placed on the STAX new flagship video interview:

STAX new products to be looking のインタ Bldg ュー2010 =

Some highlights:

1. Official name yet to be determined, the current is codenamed C32

2. Is a higher level than the SR007 series (not just like the 007 -> 007MK2 this upgrade product)

3. And other new series like the adjustable headband

C32_2.jpg

4. Development opportunity, because this year is the 50th anniversary of SR-1 on sale, there is a sense of mission to develop new electrode

5. Increase the fixed pole fixed (less vibration)

6. Fixed a very a reduced temperature, ventilation holes in the central open

7. But because it has become fixed very weak shock resistance, so this is a fixed pole at high temperature synthesis of 1 from the 3-layer body

C32_3.jpg

8. Voices, in addition to the traditional thin STAX sense, but because of the increased strength can also be given more accurate low-frequency

9. The biggest drawback is the price the electrode is very high, not only with a 3-layer structure, the synthesis of high temperature and pressure of the high cost, cost around 30 million yen to 50 million, the official price yet OK

Also the message is the 10/30 Autumn Festival will debut the headset, but can not determine whether Lyrics: P

Bad google translate, bad. :palm: 30萬~50萬 is 30,0000 ~ 50,0000 not 30 million to 50 million.

Looks like my friend left out a bunch of things. Sorry. Number 6 says that the hole in the center is to reduce the temperature of the driver. Number 7 says that the stator is formed from 3 pieces under high temperature and pressure.