Wallwart Question

The Monkey

Yeah, I plan to get a new hub, but I'm at my parents' place in East Hampton and will get gouged. Would a 9V wall wart be a bad thing? I basically don't understand how these numbers work...:palm:

By the way, the unpowered HRT Music Streamer is a piece of shit because it basically needs to be run from a powered USB hub. Fuckers.

you know that the usb output voltage is 5 volts, so likely the power supply inside the hub is a simple ldo linear

regulator. Which means it probably won't work at 6 volts, and it might overheat at 9 volts if you are

going to pull full power out of it.

My thinking was that just about any wallwart Dinny is likely to find laying around won't be regulated or exactly 2.1A. So odds are good that any 6V unit is probably pushing over 7V already and I'd rather undershoot than overshoot. If it's a simple LDO on the inside the worst case by feeding it too little voltage is that you get poor to no regulation and perhaps low voltage at the output, right? The consequences of too much V on the input seem much worse (burnout).

The component will only use as much current as it needs but higher voltage can overload internal parts. The rub here though is that if you have a say 12V/1.5A wallwart but the component draws only 300mA then the voltage the wallwart outputs will be higher than the rated 12V. The voltage output is at the rated current draw so it rises with less current demand.