B&W 802 Series 80 repair

The Monkey

My Googling is starting to make me think that the much-reviled connectors on the old 801s are different from (and much worse than) the five-way binding posts on my 802s. I found several statements to that effect in old reviews. When I get home I'm going to take a look at mine and maybe later post some photos here.

See this here, about the later series 2 801s:

Rather than utilizing standard five-way binding posts (as B&W does with their less expensive 802 speakers), they have opted for some rather poor-quality, screw-type terminals that just don't belong on a product of this quality.

Ok. I guess the first step will be to see if I can open up the damn things to get to the crossovers.

Sorry to be all over this thread; I guess I just had a sudden burst of enthusiasm for my speakers, and thus yours, too. Anyway, I finally looked at the schematic that you posted on page one. Did you see the second page of it, with the cutaway diagram of the 802? I was pleased to see that it had a basic matrix-type bracing inside. I also noted that on it, the crossover is at the base, way below the bass drivers. Which reminded me that when I turned mine upside down, I found that there is a panel screwed onto the bottom of the speaker. I would wager that (1) that's how you access the crossovers; and (2) the crossover photo I posted above, on page three, is for the later 802s, and is wrong for ours.

One of the speakers seems to be working fine. The other is not. The bad one sounds like the bass drivers are blown or not working or something. So I opened them up. I have some crossover pics that I'll post later. Fortunately, no spiders, but I did find something nasty:

45620297.png

That's the back of the bass driver unit. As you can see, there is some sort of white substance on it. I have two questions:

1) could that be affecting the sound or is it just cosmetic?

And

2) what the fuck?!

Let's just say I'm glad the speaker is actually ok so I don't have to open it up again. But I will post the crossover pics as a thank you to zonker because I definitely would not have thought to start by looking for a panel on the bottom (floor side) of the speaker itself.

Now I also need to start a thread for the amp...