Everything Is Broken

audiosceptic

Stealing my thread title from Bob Dylan it seems I have had some recent bad luck purchasing audio stuff over the Internet. I detailed the broken Quad ESL63's I dealt with in the Quad thread. In addition I have had:

- Broken new Welborne Labs power supply for my Duet. Sent back and waiting for new one.

- Broken new VPI 16.5 record cleaner. I had to open it up and tighten a allen screw to get the platter to turn.

- Broken new Seta Nano phono preamp where the left RCA channel cuts out (I use XLR). Vendor is sending me the new model in December because they are aware of a manufacturing defect.

- Broken new BA where the volume control was bad. Sent back to Craig and he fixed a broken connection to the Alps RK-50 pot.

- Broken headband block on my new LCD-2. Audeze knows about this and is sending me new blocks.

- Broken Shure E500 headphones. I use these in the gym and it seems sweat caused the left channel to break. I'm debating if it's worth it to fix or just buy a cheap pair for gym use.

Am I just having a bad streak here of have others experienced broken stuff?

A year ago, all within 6 months of each other: oven died, dishwasher died, clothes washer died, main controller for the furnace died. My neighbor said the same happened to her, and that it isn't so unusual since one often newly buys most of these things all at once.

Interesting thought, maybe related to that. But the clothes washer belt broke, and being 15 yrs old, we opted to replace the unit, the oven had the main fuse go in the midst of running the cleaning cycle, it was 12 yrs old, but it's been ok for a year now after replacing the main fuse, the furnace is about 15 years old and the guy said the main board often dies around then, the dishwasher was just cleaning less well gradually over time and being 15 years old opted to buy a new one rather than pay to have it repaired.

Forgot that also the sink disposal went at about the same time - just wasn't grinding as quickly any more, after 15 years.

Seems like most of those just related to old age, no?