Welcome to the "Banned from Head-fi" club 909!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bhd812

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a lot of this on the amplification forums...

Person A says Amp 1 better than Amp 2

Person B says Amp 3 better than Amp 1

Person C says he heard that Amp 3 is better than Amp 1 and Amp 2

Person D says Amp 3 is the best thing out there

And so on...

I have also seen meet impressions where someone will sit down at a setup with a source they aren't familiar with, an amp they aren't familiar with, unknown music, sometimes even headphones that they aren't familiar with, spend 2-5 minutes and then write up a paragraph on the amp itself (which then gets used by someone else later in the flawed deductive process above). I've even seen people walk across the room between 2 different setups, with different music on, and then write a comparison between the 2 amps in the setups in the meet impressions thread.

That?s assuming I only meant posts. I've seen peer influence at meets and salesmanship attempted to influence the listeners? impressions. With people saying doesn?t this or that sound this or that way before, while, or after listening or a combo of seed planting.

tipsy, my friend, tipsy. i'm quite disagreeable when i'm drunk ;)

I thought you were dishing out some sarcasm, which keeps in step with disagreeable.

That?s assuming I only meant posts. I've seen peer influence at meets and salesmanship attempted to influence the listeners? impressions. With people saying doesn?t this or that sound this or that way before, while, or after listening or a combo of seed planting.

What I mean is, if for example one were to post about what they *think* (oh no, I'm typing like TrevorNetwork) an amp->phone combo would sound like, doesn't mean that others will read it for what it is (and what it is, is meaningless). Rather some will take it in as a real opinion because they arn't dissecting the choosen words and miss the fact that it is only a conjecture.

Biggie.

everyone laughs at my references (beastie boys, propellerheads and the like) but hey, that's the music i'm familiar with. ain't no shame in playing depeche mode through some EmmLabs to the ES-1 to the Orpheus cans! ok, just a little shame. but hey it's better than listening to some classical bit i never heard and trying to make some kind of comparo with my own experiences other than saying "hey sounds ok to me!"

Posted impressions are conjecture to a reader since different music, cables, sources, ears, amps, headphones, prejudices, listening environment, experience, and procedures all play a role. As does the readers' ability to interpret and digest information. Such opinions from a readers standpoint are (pretty) meaningless.

If I didn?t say I didn?t hear it, none the wiser to harp on one isolated post.

I didn't say anything of the sort... ::)

Take from it what you like. ServingInEquidor--WTF

Harming people (mildly amusing)... The Protector? Seems like a bit of neurotic nitpicking.

One Post not posts. I clearly indicated the situation, but for you wouldn?t know. I could reason as to why, but it?s meaningless. Harp away...

Don?t you have bigger fish to fry? Protector of those that might be harmed by meaningless audio dribbles.

Shouldn?t you be off to save the audio world? (Silly stuff so don?t take it the wrong way.) :police::laugh::angel:

Posted impressions are conjecture to a reader since different music, cables, sources, ears, amps, headphones, prejudices, listening environment, experience, and procedures all play a role. As does the readers' ability to interpret and digest information. Such opinions from a readers standpoint are (pretty) meaningless.

So what you're arguing is that since actual impressions are so subject to guesswork anyway, it then follows that it doesn't matter if you pile up further guesswork on top of that by speculating about gear which you haven't heard. Furthermore, since the reader is an idiot anyway (on Head-fi this is probably true of 99.99% of them), they ain't gonna read nor listen so you might as well just say whatever the fuck you feel like saying.

On one level I'm inclined to agree with you, Head-fi is full of worthless shits anyway so why bother? On the other hand, we all have ethical obligations to live up to, and this includes disseminating clear truthful information and opinions instead of spreading conjecture. If one truly cares about the hobby and its future, then one is morally obliged to post clear truthful facts & opinions based on actual experience, and clearly label all guesswork and speculations as such, and with the proper disclaimers & caveats.

I concur with your post. :)

I am not advocating a particular position. Based on my experience I take everything I read about audio with a big grain of salt. And afterwards think, I need to hear it. If I?ve heard two things separately (which was the case here) I can surmise how they might sound together knowing my ear and system. If I don?t like the way something new in my system sounds I can surmise as to what might be the cause or make it better before kicking it to the curb or bagging on it. Seriously, I can?t think of more than this one time where I made such a suggestion based on hearing two things separately and provided clear language I had not heard the combo together. I don?t think guesswork is the right term from the one conveying an impression. Nor is it the term I would use for the review reader. Just that the reader should realize many factors influence the impression. And this hobby isn't an exact science. In general, I don?t believe the readers are idiots, but possibly don?t have enough experience to know one way or another. If you believe they are idiots, there's nothing that can be done for those individuals.

Head-Fi Down....

2006-11-16 2303 EST: We are taking the forums down for a big software upgrade. There is maintenance to perform after the upgrade, so this may take several hours. In the interim, please visit the websites of our Sponsors (below), hug your kids, spend quality time with your significant other, listen to music, and take photos of your rig(s) to post when the forums are back up. Apologies for the forum outage. --Jude--

• 4 months later...

Sorry, I went to bed right after I wrote my first message. I used to be aaroncort on head-fi. I was banned for screwing around and playing pranks. The last straw was when they found out I had two accounts and was still posting after a temporary ban.

So is there a lot of head-fi animosity here? I don't hold anything against them other than that they moderate their forums far too much for my liking. It's a social place, but they don't allow you to be very social. the last time I was temporarily banned was for making a beat-off joke for christs sake. I don't know anything about Jude but to me it seems that he's worked in an office for far too long and many years of office politics has sucked all the fun out of him.

...But who knows? I'm just a bitter ex head-fi-er. ;D