Etymotic and the utter failure of the new foam tips

n_maher

the comply ones fit okay with my ER4P, but I did print out the custom coupon, have yet to make an appt. for them. it's not 150 but 100, I believe. might be worth a try, reading what episiarch says here

It's going to be near 150 after you get impressions taken and pay shipping (one or both ways).

The good news is that my custom glued tips worked well on the trip, I would have gone insane without them. The red-eye back from LA had not one but two crying kids and I wasn't able to sleep more than a couple hours so it would have been unbearable without serious isolation and tunes.

I'll shoot out a couple of PMs tonight in response to the very kind offers made in this thread. I really appreciate it guys, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, perhaps not all hope is lost...

Dear Nate,

Since our last correspondence, please be advised that we made a few manufacturing changes for the ER4 foam eartips that we feel may address the durability and the way the foam eartips seal your ear canals for overall comfort and sound quality. If you are willing, we would like to send a number of samples (complimentary of course) for your review and feedback. When you have an opportunity, please let me know if you would like to receive the samples. Of course I will need your shipping address.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

I'll certainly update this thread when the new tips arrive from Etymotic.

• 2 months later...

I have been using the prototype(?) tips that Ety sent me at the end of last year. They have been working well and lasting appropriately. They look very similar to some older tips that a few folks here sent me so my guess is that contrary to what their email said they simply went back to the old design or had a bad batch from a faulty manufacturer. I've been meaning to email them some feedback but it keeps slipping off the radar.

It's going to be near 150 after you get impressions taken and pay shipping (one or both ways).

The good news is that my custom glued tips worked well on the trip, I would have gone insane without them. The red-eye back from LA had not one but two crying kids and I wasn't able to sleep more than a couple hours so it would have been unbearable without serious isolation and tunes.

I'll shoot out a couple of PMs tonight in response to the very kind offers made in this thread. I really appreciate it guys, thanks.

for me it wasn't as much actually. I like the ACS tips quite a lot. they do provide almost as much isolation as the comply tips, and are at least as comfy; plus these customs will last longer and sound slightly better than the exchangeable comply tips. - for those who like to rationalize such purchases: by the time you buy a few supplies of soft tips, you are getting close to what the ACS cost ;-)

• 1 month later...