Zu; Black Friday sale

ironbut

too bad i won't be able to evaluate the Omens and postjack's Quads in new place by the time this sale is over. Mike, pull some strings

It seems like Zu has been on a big push lately (I'm guessing they got some new financial backing or something). You might tell 'em that you're doing an evaluation and see if you can get a raincheck. Heck, all they can say is no!

• 1 month later...

dsc00355.jpg

Audiophiles dream of something that can blow them away with the sheer sound quality and power and Zu's new flagship speaker called Dominance. Yes it is an extremely dominant force, and has the ability to knock you off you feet quite literally! The speakers feature a TFFFT array of two tweeters alongside three paralleled widebanders which have been placed inside a concave aluminum baffle. Hiding away is a huge 15-inch downfiring woofer. Priced at $40,000the speakers offer 101dB efficiency with 6-ohm impedance, and the sound bandwidth is listed at 14Hz - 20kHz with a power handling capacity of 2 to 900 watts.

• 1 year later...

I have a pair of Zu Soul Superfly and they are fantastic speakers. When it comes to tonality, I really think the Zu guys have their shit together. Never heard Omens before but they use pretty similar drivers and I'm betting sound isn't too far off. As for driving them, just about anything 8-10 watts will be plenty of power. I went with overkill 60 wpc Atma amps, which lets me go to ridiculous volume levels with little to no distortion / clipping.

My excitement of yesterday (so few inexpensiveish speakers on my radar are also this sexy to look at), gave way to the realization that a soon to walk newborn and low sitting, uncovered paper drivers probably aren't a great combination. In the end keeping the kid.