Robot vacuum cleaner, or not?

DefectiveAudioComponent

Does anyone here have a fancy robot that goes around doing the boring dirty work, cleaning all the vacuum at home? I was thinking perhaps the Roomba could work... but I'm not sure if it's the Stax of vacuum cleaners, or if it's more like the Bose of floor sweeping robots.

Do you have a robot floor sweeper at home? Is it good?

I have the first gen Roomba but have not checked in w/ the latest ones. At that time, about 6-7 years ago (?) I thought it was so cool at first, but over time, used it less and less, and until it finally just sat after a few months. First off, it is very much a sweeper rather than a vacuum cleaner. Not bad for an occasional pick up, but not a thorough cleaning. Also, it would get jammed by rug corners and cords (electrical and curtains, etc...). The rotating brush would scoop them up and get wrapped up into the roller. So I'd have to stay nearby and rescue it every now and then. And before using it, I'd have to go around the room and make sure the path was clear of things that could jam it. Finally, it'll only do one room at a time, so you'd have to check in to see if it's done, then move it from room to room to get the whole house. By that time, I'd just as soon vacuum the regular way.

I suppose if you're sitting on your computer or doing something in the same room, and you don't have crap all over the place like I do, it would save some of the manual work for a light pick up, and you can make sure it doesn't get snagged on something. And maybe since that time, it's improved - I really haven't checked in a while. Last I checked, it could be programmed to turn itself on, clean, find its dock to recharge, park, and turn itself off. That would be very cool, but again, not sure if it wouldn't get snagged on something while you were out.

If I can find it, I can send it your way and you can try it out. But not sure where I saw it last, my wife might have tossed it. Last I remember, it was cowering under the guest bed. Also, not sure about the condition of the NiCad batteries after all this time.

I'm going to wait for Rosey from the Jetsons next time ...

I've got the 2nd gen roomba. Like jvlgato said, after its done with the room it'll find the dock, park, and sleep. It was quite useful back when I was living in res. I could turn it on before class, laundry or whenever I leave the room, and when I come back the room would be cleaner. But you can't really use it when you have stuff lying around on the floor everywhere. It'll sweep them around everywhere. Also, sometimes it pulls on cables, knocking things off the table. (Like my laptop :palm: ) So now that I live at home, with several projects and parts for projects lying around the floor, it sorta just sits under my bed unused. Last time I've used it was probably over 6 months ago.

I'd be happy to send it to boomana or tkam as a cat toy, as well. You could put some catnip in the container, turn it on, and be entertained for hours, all the while you'd be doing a light cleaning. Maybe you could get one of the DIYers to overclock the controller board or put a higher output motor and really watch some high speed fun unfold!

• 3 weeks later...
:) I like robots, too, for similar reasons. Well, I don't like zombie robots...or robot zombies. But I've also thought about the roomba. Seems like, in theory, it would be good for under the bed and other hard to reach places. But it's also one of those things that I can't believe would ever be able to work effectively. And apparently, it doesn't.

I have a decent roomba, reasonably new, and love it. I bought it to help kickstart a wootoff, and to give to my wife. The trick is to use it frequently, like every single day. Give the place a really thorough clean, then schedule it to run every day and it will happily maintain that level of clean. Just empty it out every night. You do have to keep stuff off the floor, of course, but that's not too bad. You end up spending 5-10 minutes a day, and having a clean place all the time.

If you're observant of routine, I'd say go for it.

• 3 years later...