Anything better than a Benchmark DAC1 HDR

Voltron

A buddy is looking to buy one of these for himself and I was wondering if there were any other units that cover the same features any better. The DAC1 is a DAC, preamp, headphone amp, and has a remote control. He would be replacing a larger preamp and likes the smaller form factor of the DAC1 all-in-one. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Peachtree something might make some sense although I have zero experience with their headphone amp output. Only HR offers something close to all the features -- Desktop Amp with dac -- but it is not remote controlled and I am done with HR given its Tyll-free status.

EDIT: I suggested the DA11 as an option because I think it sounds better but it has no preamp capability.

Peachtree something might make some sense although I have zero experience with their headphone amp output. Only HR offers something close to all the features -- Desktop Amp with dac -- but it is not remote controlled and I am done with HR given its Tyll-free status.

EDIT: I suggested the DA11 as an option because I think it sounds better but it has no preamp capability.

Oh interesting, I thought it had a digital attenuator like the DA10

bold words: WTF does this mean? i don't know the story.

i've owned my DAC1 for a few years now, and while i prefer my y2 for sonics, i think the DAC1 is an excellent performer and offers a lot for very little $$$ when partnered with sympathetic gears (read: warm/dark/juicy).

edit: forget it, big brain fart re: Tyll

ok, so i guess i was mistaken then - i thought it was a more amiable separation.

Yikes: love the first paragraph of your sig. so true. i can't wait for the day that we see a non-Corporatist holding the high office. also, the EU is getting totally fucked by Ireland - the one's who give corporate tax shelters at a paltry 12.5%. the Celtic Tiger is beyond dead.