Recabling A K701

elnero

I wasn't really sure where to post this, a friend at work has a set of K701's whose cable has apparently crapped out, can anyone offer any advice on who he might contact to see about getting them recabled at a reasonable price?

is the short at the cups or at the TRS plug? if it's just the TRS plug, many here could walk you through the soldering process. just be careful where you bend over...

That's why I bought the K702. When my kids use them and step on the cable thus destroying it,

I just jump on ebay and buy another plug & play stocker for $18 and am good to go again.

Not trying to rub salt in your wounds, but if you do consider buying another, get the K702.

For this very reason, I wont let the kiddies near my Staxen.

She's a brutal taskmaster.

That said, recabling the 701s is a bit of PITA. Removing the metal screen without damaging the headphones can be tricky but if you can manage that the rest is easy. You do need to trace colored wires to the plug since AKG is fond of not using a standard. If I was asked to make a recommendation I'd get something like cardas or mogami mini quad cable, strip the rubber cover, the copper braided shield and resheath it in nylon multifilament and terminate as desired.

And Dusty's right, I'm pretty much retired at this point and not building anything.

Removing the metal screen without damaging the headphones can be tricky but if you can manage that the rest is easy.

And apparently even AKG has difficulty doing that, judging by pictures I've seen on Head-Fi. Except for the odd stubborn pair, it's really not that hard to do with some appropriately shaped tweezers.