X-box or PS3?

Pars

Thinking about buying one or the other for my two sons for xmas. They currently have a PS2. I don't think they would be interested in playing any of their old games, and not sure what newer games they are interested in, though I would guess it would be Call of Duty, etc. I know they used to play the ones where you run around the city being a gangsta of some type, forget the name (keep thinking Sin City, but that was a movie) :palm:

So, which one to go for? From what I understand, PS3 is free online whereas X-box requires a subscription?

Also, any deals out there would be appreciated. Like these two need anything else to distract them from school :palm: (where's that double-palm smiley)

Seems like a silly question maybe, but do you have a blu-ray player connected to every HDTV? If they like the PS2, they may want a PS3. I will say based on many friends experiences, the xbox build quality even now isn't probably what it should be.

No. Our house is uhmmm video-challenged. What is this blu-ray and HDTV you speak of? (actually do have HD now)

Grand Theft Auto?

Yeah, that's it.

PS3 as it can work as a BDP and a Netflix streamer (XBox can stream Netflix as well, but I believe you need the XBox live subscription).

You're right about needing Xbox gold to access Netflix.

I don't know if this still holds true, but does the PS3 still lag in terms of games (quantity + slower release dates?)? They do still have a couple exclusive titles though (God of War and Metal Gear Solid come to mind).

You're right about needing Xbox gold to access Netflix.

I don't know if this still holds true, but does the PS3 still lag in terms of games (quantity + slower release dates?)? They do still have a couple exclusive titles though (God of War and Metal Gear Solid come to mind).

yep. I'd add that with a good screen, the graphics of the PS3 are no better than what you can get out of an xbox360 on HDMI. but if you have an older screen or do not connect via HDMI, then there are differences in resolution. hope you can use HDMI. I opted for the xbox360, it's a bit cheaper, it has more games, and the live capability is a little less important to me (I let it lapse recently).

yep. I'd add that with a good screen, the graphics of the PS3 are no better than what you can get out of an xbox360 on HDMI. but if you have an older screen or do not connect via HDMI, then there are differences in resolution. hope you can use HDMI. I opted for the xbox360, it's a bit cheaper, it has more games, and the live capability is a little less important to me (I let it lapse recently).

I believe one of the reasons you won't see the PS3's graphics advantage are because developers usually must develop for both platforms and opt to max out the xbox's capabilities. On PS3 exclusive games though, the graphics are really sweet.

if games matter, xbox.

This......but make sure you buy an extended warranty or save a dollar a day for future replacement units. Hopefully the new ones are more reliable but I've had the worst luck with the old style units. 4 units in 5 years is pretty shitty reliability and from what I've heard I'm one of the many with the same experience. I've only heard of 2 people who've only had 1 Xbox 360 since they bought one - Jacob and someone else here, just don't remember who it is.

But aside from being as reliable as a crack addict, I really do like the gaming experience the 360 provides. Even with my small hands, I greatly prefer the 360 controller as it feels much more natural than the PS3. And of course, all my friends who play online have the 360 so I'm really left with no choice.

My brother has xbox Kinect and it was pretty cool. Of course, he also has a 1080p projector and a 10 foot screen, but it could be fun in a smaller setup too.

Sorry to piggyback on Chris's thread, but is there some reason why my nephew would choose a PS2 specifically, rather than a PS3? That's what he is asking for for Christmas and I don't get it.

Sorry to piggyback on Chris's thread, but is there some reason why my nephew would choose a PS2 specifically, rather than a PS3? That's what he is asking for for Christmas and I don't get it.

Al, the only reason I can think of is that the new PS3 Slim units are not backward-compatible with PS2 games so you need a PS2 if you want to play PS2 games. PS2 games are generally much cheaper too so that might factor in as well.

Were it me (and indeed it was at one time) I would go with the Xbox. The new black units are quiet and stable, so far as I can tell, and the games are really very good. If I couldn't play Mass Effect I would feel as though I had made a poor purchasing decision.

is there some reason why my nephew would choose a PS2 specifically, rather than a PS3? That's what he is asking for for Christmas and I don't get it.

Maybe he has a low sense of self worth? Raffy's right, the only reason is cost. System is cheaper, games are cheaper, etc. So far as I know it can't be turned into a bong or anything.

I know I'm going to be picking up a new PS2 (yep, they're still in production) at some point, since mine is in pretty bad shape and has trouble reading some of my games. I have minimal interest in new PS3 games, and don't need the blu-ray / multimedia stuff, which is why I don't have any desire for a PS3.

I'm one of the few people that have only bight one xbox. Too it apart in the first week and never put it back again so who knows if it works. :facepalm: Maybe I'll try to jtag it at some point. Like Ive said before, I'm not much of a gamer and won't pay for live with real computers around.

Tapatalk

My brother has xbox Kinect and it was pretty cool. Of course, he also has a 1080p projector and a 10 foot screen, but it could be fun in a smaller setup too.

I shouldn't say this because I was considering it, but Bryan (Aura) has a PS3 with PS2 hardware compatibility FS right now in the FS forum... just sayin... And feel free in the thread Al.

Also, I am reluctant (personally) on the X-Box because MS is the devil. Of course, Sony isn't far behind, based on my experiences with a couple of Trinitron/WEGA TVs :indra:

I shouldn't say this because I was considering it, but Bryan (Aura) has a PS3 with PS2 hardware compatibility FS right now in the FS forum... just sayin... And feel free in the thread Al.

Also, I am reluctant (personally) on the X-Box because MS is the devil. Of course, Sony isn't far behind, based on my experiences with a couple of Trinitron/WEGA TVs :indra:

Thanks for the heads-up but my sister-in-law already bought one, I believe. I think the lower cost and the older games is what must have driven his decision. I also assumed backwards-compatibility but if that isn't true in the PS3 that would make even more sense. Dew eet! :)

Yeah, good thought. My older son thought that pretty much everything they want to run is available on both platforms.

If I do decide to go with the X-Box, I see 4G and 250G systems available. Also the Kinnect thing (which excited my wife for exercise games :palm:). The bundles with the 250G, Kinnect etc. get up to around $600 which is more that we want to spend. $200 sounds more like it :) But I don't want to do something stupid which will wind up limiting future options, etc. or burn cash getting there.

You should be able to get the 250GB console with Kinect for $400, the 4gb console with Kinect for $300, and the 4gb console without kinect for $200. Kinect sensor by itself costs $150 and the 250gb drive costs $120. These are prices for just the kits, it doesn't factor any of the stupid retailer "bundle" pricing that tend to include games you don't want.

PS3 has move which is like the wiimote that it ripped off but better and also has kinect like features through a camera called the playstation eye. So the different consoles are kind of going in the same direction these days it seems. There should be a bundle coming soon if not out yet the PlayStation Move, PlayStation Eye, Sports Champions, and a 320GB PlayStation 3 for $399.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4007[/ATTACH]

post-885-1295115862911_thumb.jpg