Advice on which in-ear monitors to choose

bmasseur

I quite like the Triple.Fi's, it took a bit for me to come around to them, I think mainly the Comply tips are what did it for me in both sound and comfort. They're not the be all or end end all but I've tried quite a few universal IEM's in my time and the Triple.Fi's are the ones that have stuck round the longest. When I got 13Pro's I briefly debated selling them but decided to hold on to them for back up purposes and I'm glad I did considering the 13Pro's have spent less time in my possession than in transit or with JH Audio. I haven't heard the newer Ety's models but I personally prefer the Triple.Fi's to the 4P/S's.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually do not have actual experience with the ER-4anything, but from those who've had experience with both it and the ER-6i, it's supposed to be a step up. And the ER-6i's are the single most isolating IEM's I've ever heard. Or rather, not heard. Or rather, "...had prevent me from hearing". Tri-flanges rule for that purpose.

The ER-6i might also be a good starting point, but it's well below your price point. I'm a bass freak, and I'm quite happy with its bass response. But believe it or not, even for a drummer, you really need a full-frequency response IEM, not one that accentuates bass.

I am definitely not a bass freak. The full-range response, good dynamics, clarity, and balance are what I'm looking for. It's just that some of the headphones offering that were said to be lacking in bass (Phonak Audeo PFE, Etymotic ER-4S/P). A warm, rich bass is all I like, but clarity and precision are equally important. A lot of the reviews I read also placed the Ety ER-4 series about the ER-6 series. Could anyone who has actually tried both of these briefly explain the difference in the quality of sound that they provide?

After more research I am currently considering the following models (in this order):

Earsonics SM3 ($360)

Westone UM3X ($320)

Etymotics HF5 ($120)

Etymotics ER-4/6 (pending advice from you guys)

Phonak Audeo PFE ($160)

On the high end I was recommneded the Westone UM3X as having "Good clarity; warm, rich bass; lots of details; very comfortable and from what others have said, if you use the triple flange tips they're very good at isolation" which is exactly what I'm looking for. After-which someone posted "I'd recommend the EarSonics SM3... From what I've heard, they are similar to the UM3X, but crisper and more balanced." and the SM3s also rated best on head-fi's Top Tier IEM charts.

I'm seriously considering what episiarch said about making a lower investment and shopping around, getting good custom tips, etc. so I'm still considering the Etys. The HF5s looking pretty good, I'm just wondering if they fit the above description of good detail and clarity with warm, rich bass; if not, I'm open to another Ety model that could offer this? If not, I don't see any reason not to get the Phonak Audeo PFEs, do you guys? Thanks again for the advice so far.

Out of those I'd go for the Westones.

I've never been an Ety fan, mind you - I don't like the way the single driver is stretched to offer the illusion of detail.

What? What do you mean, "stretched"? I'm assuming you mean that they're put to the limits of their abilities -- that is far from the case. Because they're so close to the ears, they have to produce a much smaller sound waves and therefore have to move much smaller distances.

Out of those I'd go for the Westones.

I've never been an Ety fan, mind you - I don't like the way the single driver is stretched to offer the illusion of detail.

Wha...?

Mead Killion is a superlative engineer, and the clarity of Etys treble is outstanding. I've seen the back room measurement methods and how they align stuff --- friggen rock solid in my book.

Okay, sure a single drive can do only so much, but relative to other products at similar price points, I think you're mistaken.

I wouldn't go with Westones or Earsonics. The Triple-Fis are decent, but the ergos suck. I'd go Sure 530s over Triple-Fis every time.

This thread lost it's entertainment value a long time ago. You gents have all offered solid advice, most of which has been rejected by bmasseur, who ever he/she is. Like MPI sez, BM has already made up his/her mind and is simply looking for validation of their opinion. Why you're wasting your breath (er...words) is beyond me. The ER-6i was my entry drug into this hobby. The Etys, Shure SE530 and JHx are great suggestions that is simply being ignored. I seem to recall reading something about the lack of wisdom in casting pearls before swine ... er, BM. What a waste. (OK, I'm 8 oz of Famous Grouse into writing this, but I'm pretty fed up with the stupidity of BM)

Ditto. There's been enough suggested already. We're not going to hold anybody's hands or write dissertations on subtle differences in sound when it's all been done before and is a search or two away.

Personally I'd go custom. I never liked the Etys, or the SE530, or just about any universal for that matter. The UM3x isn't bad, but that's about it... not bad. Not good either. If you have the money to go custom, there is no need to do otherwise.

OK. My son is looking for some IEMs at under $100... less than $50 would be a bonus. Must have good bass, but I am trying to steer him away from boomy bass crap. From what he has read so far, he seems to be interested in the Ety ER-6is, or the HF-5s. I also want him to look at Shures if he can find something decent in his price range. Also the Headdirect ER-0s might not be too bad, but also might not suit his preferences. He keeps reading crap on the 'net that is all over the map on recommendations. I have really no experience with IEMs, so any recommendations? I know this is way below the $$ threshold most of you look at so...

Based on what's been said in this thread, I'd recommend HF-5s or AL im716s which surprisingly still can be had, for $65. Only problem with them is they are kind of bulky (also they are white) but maybe it is the same case with the ER4. I have the Head-Direct RE-Zero which is the balanced version with a different voice coil and while it is fine in a stationary/home setting it does not have enough bass for portable use. Though maybe you can get enough bass with trying different tips, I haven't really experimented.

I'm actually a bit conflicted with ER4P/S. I love its sound but only when used with the double/triple flange tips but goddamn, they are a pain in the ass to wear in that configuration.
If you love the Ety sound and just hate fitting them, ACS custom tips are for you. Really, I love these things.

Pars, the Ety MC5 (which I believe Tyll called "the shit" earlier in this thread) is a candidate to consider.

Wha...?

Mead Killion is a superlative engineer, and the clarity of Etys treble is outstanding. I've seen the back room measurement methods and how they align stuff --- friggen rock solid in my book.

Okay, sure a single drive can do only so much, but relative to other products at similar price points, I think you're mistaken.

I wouldn't go with Westones or Earsonics. The Triple-Fis are decent, but the ergos suck. I'd go Sure 530s over Triple-Fis every time.

The illusion of detail is partly a tonal issue, as I'm sure you're aware. Give e.g. an 'audiophile-unapproved' phone, e.g. the Beats Solo - the perceived frequency representation of an Ety ER-4S for example, hand it to a typical audiophile of the ilk here, and see what happens. That's before anything else.

I'd certainly concede regarding the price point - it appears to be a worthy replacement for the ER-6i, if it is meant to be that. I have little against the HF5 - maybe more against the 4's and the praise that's heaped on them.

But the OP appears to have the budget beyond that, which is why I chose the Westones out of the list that he'd narrowed down to - and that, and the difference between the 530's and the Westones seem to be a matter of taste. I'd also agree about the poor ergos of the TF's, and that an IEM which doesn't work because it's constantly falling out of your ear is not worth even $50, no matter how many drivers it has.

What? What do you mean, "stretched"? I'm assuming you mean that they're put to the limits of their abilities -- that is far from the case. Because they're so close to the ears, they have to produce a much smaller sound waves and therefore have to move much smaller distances.

I mean there's a compromise made in the frequency representation which as you acclimatise to it appears to give you more detail than would be perceived with a more balanced phone. Whether you see it as a compromise depends on a lot of factors. This isn't a new opinion - it's been something I've been aware of since before e.g. the E3c's (a different kind of compromised single-driver response, and one that didn't offer as generally favourable a response as the ER-4 because it concentrated on the midrange) came out. Have you played around with EQing multi-drivers or other phones to match the ER-4P/S's perceived response for example?

The Triple-Fis are decent, but the ergos suck. I'd go Sure 530s over Triple-Fis every time.

The Shure 530's were my other favorite that stayed with me for quite awhile, I don't think I ever would have sold them if it wasn't for the cable issues they had. That's a moot point now that the new breed have detachable cables though. If I hadn't gone custom I might actually have been tempted to try the new 535's.

Ironically I always had minor issues with the fit of the Shures, whereas once I got used to the Triple.Fi's and started using them with Comply's I find them quite comfortable albeit still somewhat ergonomically challenged, why they would make them stick out like that is beyond me.

I mean there's a compromise made in the frequency representation which as you acclimatise to it appears to give you more detail than would be perceived with a more balanced phone. Whether you see it as a compromise depends on a lot of factors. This isn't a new opinion - it's been something I've been aware of since before e.g. the E3c's (a different kind of compromised single-driver response, and one that didn't offer as generally favourable a response as the ER-4 because it concentrated on the midrange) came out. Have you played around with EQing multi-drivers or other phones to match the ER-4P/S's perceived response for example?

Yet another post proving you know shit all about anything headphone related. There's a reason Etymotic has had the ER4P/S/B the same the past 20 years, they haven't found the need for unnecessary complications like multiple drivers with crossovers. Shut up and do some reading before you further make a fool of yourself.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - Technology - How We Measure Response Accuracy

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER-4? MicroPro Series

This thread lost it's entertainment value a long time ago. You gents have all offered solid advice, most of which has been rejected by bmasseur, who ever he/she is. Like MPI sez, BM has already made up his/her mind and is simply looking for validation of their opinion. Why you're wasting your breath (er...words) is beyond me. The ER-6i was my entry drug into this hobby. The Etys, Shure SE530 and JHx are great suggestions that is simply being ignored. I seem to recall reading something about the lack of wisdom in casting pearls before swine ... er, BM. What a waste. (OK, I'm 8 oz of Famous Grouse into writing this, but I'm pretty fed up with the stupidity of BM)

Actually I think this has been a remarkably useful thread, and I feel that whether or not it is useful to bmasseur or not is rather beside the point.

Oh, and to try to be marginally contributory, I'll echo the etymotic suggestions.

Well, since we're being all serious and shit, I should add that some midrange-loving people prefer the way cheaper Shure SE-425 over the 535, which those un-named masses of people (it's me and maybe somebody else whose existence is debatable we're talking about here, actually) find a little hype-y.

If you're seriously in the market for such a thing, it could be worth checking out the 425s. Two hundred bucks cheaper is nothing to sneeze at.

Does the RE-0 have the same gigantic port in the back that the RE-1 does? My RE-1s have next to no isolation, which could be a good thing but usually isn't.

Just spent ten days on a trip with Ety HF2s (needed mic so took instead of ER4P/S or JH13). Really plenty good. Since drivers aren't matched as closely as ERs it may depend on pair how closely they approach the other Etys, but with added functionality, significantly lower price and very near sound they'd be the model I'd recommend.

Triple.Fis 10vi another option and most would likely prefer the bass (I go back and forth), but would suggest waiting on those $99 sales.