HiFiMAN HE-6

Shahrose

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would wait until after the new year. going by their track record, i'm sure the HE-7i will be released in short time.

With platinum driver? ;)

heaviest driver yet. it's a revolution.

lol I wouldn't be surprised. The HE-6 is what the HE-5 should have been last year. I've ordered a pair anyways, will update the thread briefly when I get them.

Just got them. Initial impressions:

Good:

-Excellent bass, in every parameter. Quantity is greater than the HD800, but a bit lower than the 600.

-Open, airy and delicate sound, especially treble (something I've noticed on the HE-5, LCD-2 and now the HE-6)

-Good transient response, attack and natural decay.

-Comfort is surprisingly good considering the ~500g weight (I'm sensitive to heavy cans...the LCD-2 were uncomfortable for sessions longer than 30 min)

Bad:

-Too much treble around 9-14KHz, sounds bright and sibilant despite the treble quality.

-Soundstage is flat and small, a far cry from the likes of the HD800. It's slightly smaller than the HD600's SS as well.

-Build quality is disappointing for a $1200 headphone.

-Difficult to drive well.

Overall, these are an improvement over the HE-5s, but the sibilant treble is quite bothersome. I prefer the HD800 right now. The treble might change with burn-in (if orthos burn-in at all), but it would have to be a more-than-subtle change to make me like it.

I think an HE-6 thread here isn't necessary when the one at HF suffices for everything we need to know. Plus if you're just going to cross-post here word-for-word what you posted at HF, IMO don't bother posting here. It's not like we can't/don't read HF.

I didn't know Head-Casers frequented HF too often.

I don't really care about the hifiman, but I definitely do not think the existence of a head-fi thread should inhibit a parallel thread here. I for one do not read anything on head-fi for information purposes. I used to parallel post when appropiate and if somebody wants to do that then so what? This forum is self-contained, not an ancillary site to head-fi.

I actively welcome the reposting of anything worth a slice of a damn on this site irrespective of it being posted on Head-Fi or any other such forum, because I do not read them.

I read this forum, and much less so, the Steve Hoffman hardware subforum. That's about it.

But then if it's not my Ety ER-4, I'm not much into headphones these days anyway.

I think they are great headphones.

There you go, as much effort in the reply as the question.

regarding posting on multiple forums:

Is it an effort to start a worthwhile thread here or an effort to just ask a couple forums the same question to avoid looking for info yourself?

Im all for an HE6 thread here too. just not "pretty please read for me because I asked you to." totally lame.

I think they are great headphones.

There you go, as much effort in the reply as the question.

regarding posting on multiple forums:

Is it an effort to start a worthwhile thread here or an effort to just ask a couple forums the same question to avoid looking for info yourself?

Im all for an HE6 thread here too. just not "pretty please read for me because I asked you to." totally lame.

You're overthinking this...

Anyways K3cT. The sibilance issue is gone. I guess it needed some burn-in, which is strange because I always thought orthos didn't require it.