HiFiMAN HE-6

Shahrose

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why it happened, but the treble energy went down noticeably within the first few hours. I don't think there have been any major changes since.

that will teach you for posting immediate, out of box impressions, especially when the HPs just came in from the front stoop in the middle of a Canadian winter :).

that will teach you for posting immediate, out of box impressions, especially when the HPs just came in from the front stoop in the middle of a Canadian winter :).

Yea, not going to do that again :o

toronto doesn't have a canadian winter, just ask people in alberta.

Can't argue with that.

BTW Corey, did you ever get to try the HE-6 loaner with your Beta? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about the pairing.

no, i bailed on the loaner program shortly after the "improved" production revision was released, half-way through the loaner program, and after a short row with another HF member. i have a hard time taking a company seriously that has released as many "reference" models in such a short period of time. i feel that early adopters/supporters are being taken for a ride.

You're overthinking this...

Anyways K3cT. The sibilance issue is gone. I guess it needed some burn-in, which is strange because I always thought orthos didn't require it.

That's good to hear. Do you like it now?

I thought the HE6 has an amazing treble but that's about it.

no, i bailed on the loaner program shortly after the "improved" production revision was released, half-way through the loaner program, and after a short row with another HF member. i have a hard time taking a company seriously that has released as many "reference" models in such a short period of time. i feel that early adopters/supporters are being taken for a ride.

Yea that was one of my complaints. Their old releases have lost a lot of value because of it. I guess they're trying to make amends by offering HE-5/LE customers with the $100 discount on the HE-6.

That's good to hear. Do you like it now?

I thought the HE6 has an amazing treble but that's about it.

Hey Brian.

I think they're OK with my setup. I have a feeling they could improve with a more powerful amp. As it stands, I think the O2Mk1, HD800 and LCD-2 are better.

Regarding their treble, it's smooth and forgiving yes, but it glosses over detail and texture that is revealed by the recabled 800s. It's grain-free, linear and extended but not the most resolving. I feel the strength of the HE-6 lies in their visceral bass and natural/unfatiguing tone.

Yea that was one of my complaints. Their old releases have lost a lot of value because of it. I guess they're trying to make amends by offering HE-5/LE customers with the $100 discount on the HE-6.

Hey Brian.

I think they're OK with my setup. I have a feeling they could improve with a more powerful amp. As it stands, I think the O2Mk1, HD800 and LCD-2 are better.

Regarding their treble, it's smooth and forgiving yes, but it glosses over detail and texture that is revealed by the recabled 800s. It's grain-free, linear and extended but not the most resolving. I feel the strength of the HE-6 lies in their visceral bass and natural/unfatiguing tone.

Forgive me if I am mistaken but how do they compare to your LCD-2? (I believe you had one before or still currently own a pair?)

Forgive me if I am mistaken but how do they compare to your LCD-2? (I believe you had one before or still currently own a pair?)

Hey Matt. You should come by and listen to them at the next mini-meet in the GTA (I'll fire off a quick PM on Head-Fi when I know the details).

I didn't own the LCD-2, but got an extended audition in a quiet room from several setups (Dynahi, A-GD Ref1/Phoenix, DNA Sonett, and my own setup). I feel the LCD-2 has more precise imaging and staging than the HE-6, but sounds a bit more closed (less airy). This may be because of the darker sound of the Audez'e. I also think the LCD-2 is faster and more textured. I'm sure there are other differences but I would have to spend more time (weeks) with the two.

Hey Matt. You should come by and listen to them at the next mini-meet in the GTA (I'll fire off a quick PM on Head-Fi when I know the details).

I didn't own the LCD-2, but got an extended audition in a quiet room from several setups (Dynahi, A-GD Ref1/Phoenix, DNA Sonett, and my own setup). I feel the LCD-2 has more precise imaging and staging than the HE-6, but sounds a bit more closed (less airy). This may be because of the darker sound of the Audez'e. I also think the LCD-2 is faster and more textured. I'm sure there are other differences but I would have to spend more time (weeks) with the two.

Thanks for the impressions. I will be sure to show up at the next GTA meet. I have a few things I can bring as well (see signature). Otherwise you are welcome to come by anytime for a micro meet whenever you have a chance! It would be interesting to hear the HE-6 in comparison to the the K1000 :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can attest to the difference a speaker amp makes on the performance of the HE-6. I borrowed Jeff's LCD-2 for a couple weeks but it was at the time the Ref. 7 was here so I didn't know what to contribute to the dac and what was the LCD-2. The headamp drove them effortlessly but they were dark at low volumes. After the holidays, we are getting together with the LCD-2, HE-6, HD800 and PS1000 for some listening time.

I favor the HE-6 for it's highs and clarity at low volume. Now comes the chore of building a system around it.

Edited by Happy Camper

I won't debate the possibilities as I know the LCD-2s are just another flavor of similar performance. Properly matched, you could make a lot of top end headphones sound great. I'm choosing the HE-6 by preference as it fits my tastes by comparison on the same gear.

Scott, I'll give you a heads up. Three in Dayton, one in Cincy & Batesville and one in Indy. We are also bringing in the PS Perfectwave for a listen.

I can attest to the difference a speaker amp makes on the performance of the HE-6. I borrowed Jeff's LCD-2 for a couple weeks but it was at the time the Ref. 7 was here so I didn't know what to contribute to the dac and what was the LCD-2. The headamp drove them effortlessly but they were dark at low volumes. After the holidays, we are getting together with the LCD-2, HE-6, HD800 and PS100 for some listening time.

I favor the HE-6 for it's highs and clarity at low volume. Now comes the chore of building a system around it.

Interesting...I suspected this would be the case.

BTW, for anyone wanting to read a "journal" of my experience with the HE-6 over a period of a few weeks. I've posted it here on Head-Fi: HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphone - Page 145 - Head-Fi.org Community

• 3 weeks later...

Head-Direct Displays New HiFiman Headphones, Prototypes | techPowerUp

Another interesting newcomer at CES for Head-Direct was the HE-6P headphones, which are basically a more efficient version of the HE-6 headphones.

So how long did the HE-6 have as the "world's greatest headphone" before Hifiman upstaged it again? It's not even out of it's introductory promotional pricing yet. :palm:

I have some quality time with a HE-6P prototype. The best way I can compare is to think Etymotic ER4-S to ER-4P.

The HE-6P is more efficient, but not extremely efficient. On my Grace m902, my HE-6 is topping out at 88 out of 100 for High gain with the quiet music. The HE-6P in comparison tops out at about 72 out of 100. Keep in mind that there is a significant gain boost at 85 with the Grace m902, so the volume scale is not linear from 0-100. I guess that doesn't really help anyone that has not used a Grace m902.

Basically, in a nutshell, the HE-6P makes sacrifices in sound quality to achieve the better efficiency. So far I've noticed the treble suffers the most. Not a big change in quality, but it's noticeable, particularly in speed, clarity, and detail. Bass is still quite strong and fast with the HE-6P.

Overall, if you're willing to get a high powered amp to power the HE-6, don't bother with the HE-6P. As far as I've heard, the HE-6 still sounds better.

-Ed

Good to know, I figured it wouldn't actually be the same as the HE-6, it's just funny how quickly they came out with this. Don't they also have the HE-4 coming out?

Also, from your description I take it the HE-6p wouldn't actually work all that well direct out of an ipod? :P

Depends on which iPod. It should actually work OK with most of them. The HE-6P Works suprisingly well with portable audio players. It can be a little picky. My Pico Slim doesn't drive it well for instance. It clips a lot at strong bass sounds.

Just tried it with my Sansa Clip+ and it's quite decent, no noticeable clipping. Volume is maxed out, so it doesn't get super loud, but unless you're somewhat hearing impaired, it get's loud enough for me.

Doesn't surprise me that the HE-6P works well with the Clip+, as Fang has a few and keeps them in mind when designing headphones.

-Ed

Edited by Edwood