Balanced RS-1's

tkam

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have experience with balanced RS-1's? What improvements have you heard vs single-ended rs-1's?

Yep ;D

Short version: Improved detail, improved bass, improved imaging, cleaner frequency response, huge increase in PRAT. I've still got a single-ended pair also, and love it a lot but IMO it's not in the same league. The two headphones I normally listen to balanced are the Qualia 010 and the RS-1, and IMO the RS-1 is more fun. (I need to get some more listening time with balance HD-650 though, and balanced R10 is coming soon). On reading this post, I think I need to get a life :P

I'll take a crack on the bat at trying to answer this... yes!. At least out of the SDS XLR and out of the Maestro XLR. I am going to try to get one (not right now, but it is in my wish list). I don't know how easy would it be to persuade Grado to do a custom RS1. Maybe we'll know soon enough right tkam? ;)

The hd650 becomes very spacious and traces of "veil" are wiped out in balanced mode to my ears. In the case of the balanced RS1, changes are wide soundstage, dynamics are increased, bass is more controlled, cymbals extend more. Seems like a complete different headphone with the two amps I listed above. I wish we had them at the NJ meet where I could have tried them with the balanced dynamight.

right. last time I communicated with Larry, he would not recable RS1 cans because of the risk of damaging the wooden cups. He proposed the alternative of re-terminating the cable. I am sure there is someone out there that would try and open the cups, but I agree with Larry, the risk of damage is high.

In my case, if I am getting a balanced RS1, it will be re-cabled. And for this option, I would try to get Grado to do it. I own a pair of RS1 but they are of the older golden letter/brown headband vintage, so those are staying put ( sorry goredwings ;) ) So that is what I was refering to when I mentioned recabling by Grado.

There are many ways to go about making XLR-ready RS1, some more elaborate than others.

cd44hi>Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dear Sire,

no, not to worry! those vintage RS are staying mint, untouched. I need to get a different pair balanced :) (in the future, not right now though). I swear, I rather give'em to you* than harm them in any way he he. (*right.............)

Yep ;D

Short version: Improved detail, improved bass, improved imaging, cleaner frequency response, huge increase in PRAT. I've still got a single-ended pair also, and love it a lot but IMO it's not in the same league. The two headphones I normally listen to balanced are the Qualia 010 and the RS-1, and IMO the RS-1 is more fun. (I need to get some more listening time with balance HD-650 though, and balanced R10 is coming soon). On reading this post, I think I need to get a life :P

I am suprised that the Rs-1 scales this high. I know the 650's scale well with balanced amps aminly SS's. But does balancing the Rs-1 sacrifice it's warmth?

Funny you mention the Qualia as you are the second person who has metioned that the increments in performance are small when ran in a balanced configuration. Maybe it is not as scalable as the 650?

i heard the bling with balanced rs1's at the last NY meet.

It really blew me away... I've also had the pleasure of hearing them with the new blockhead.... It was my favorite "system" with the wadia 861 as the source... wasn't much of a fan of tyll's music taste, but it was really something else. I preferred it to the balanced 650's he also had available there.

I want to see better high resolution pictures of both of your RS1's. stop holding out on us dudes.

mine's apparently a second gen RS1.

Ok man, I promised those a while back to you. I will take a few shots next week when I get the digital camera back. I should buy my own one. I keep borrowing my wife's. The thing is that she frequently takes it along on her trips. She should be back early next week.

talk to you later tonight @ IM...