Balanced RS-1's

tkam

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hirsch's RS-1 has the high-bandwidth cable. Is the high-bandwidth cable required to get this supposed balanced magic?

I would say most likely no... but if there is a difference it'll have to be a very large one for me to go with the extremely unwieldy high-bandwidth cable, well at least the way gpalmer recabled his (which is now Hirsch's balanced RS1's) using one four-conductor high-bandwith cable per driver. :P

Based on my conversations with gpalmer, we believe that the PS-1 seems to respond to balanced solid-state amplifiers, while the RS-1 thrives on tubes. Greg really likes the PS-1 with Gilmore Balanced Reference combo, but neither of us thought that the PS-1 responded to SDS-XLR the way the RS-1 did.

I would say most likely no... but if there is a difference it'll have to be a very large one for me to go with the extremely unwieldy high-bandwidth cable, well at least the way gpalmer recabled his (which is now Hirsch's balanced RS1's) using one four-conductor high-bandwith cable per driver. :P

Hey, you get to listen to music and build up your neck muscles at the same time. What could be better? >:D

Hey, you get to listen to music and build up your neck muscles at the same time. What could be better? >:D

the weight wasn't the problem but rather how the cables were quite the immovable objects and secured the RS1's in a particular location in space so they wouldn't move freely with my head every time I moved about. a bit of a problem when the cable weighs several times more than the headphone and the headphone's clamping force is a bit weak to compensate. :P

the weight wasn't the problem but rather how the cables were quite the immovable objects and secured the RS1's in a particular location in space so they wouldn't move freely with my head every time I moved about. a bit of a problem when the cable weighs several times more than the headphone and the headphone's clamping force is a bit weak to compensate. :P

Actually I don't really have a problem with the cables. The length gives them enough flex that I've been able to move freely. OTOH, I really like Virtual Dynamics interconnects, but may never ask Risk to build a headphone cable. Something like the Master would be four 10 AWG solid core copper conductors. The headphone would simply stay suspended in the air, and you'd have to move under it.

Thanks for the info guys.

I will be receiving GE's balanced RS-1 to try this out myself.

So what tube combos do you guys recommend? I am thinking Ken-Rad VT-231 for gain, and 5867 (Tung Sol, Raytheon or RCA) or GE 6BL7GT for drivers.

I've been running straight 6SN7's. Tung Sol round plates for gain and a quad of short-base 6SN7W's on the outputs. However, I've been having good results on my single-ended amp with Tung Sol 5687's for gain, and Syl 6BL7GT's on the outputs, so I'm going to give that a try balanced when I get a moment.

Received the balanced RS-1 from GE today, along with an adapter to allow me to compare it to single-ended mode using the same setup. In my case, Meridian G08=>Cardas NR=>SDS-XLR=>RS-1. Initial impressions: :dance:

Whereas the single-ended mode is not too bad (BTW, I prefer the Headphile HF-1 and RS-2 to it), it sounds trebly, thin, and peaky to my ears. Even to a Qualia user, the RS-1 is too bright (perhaps because unlike the Qualia, the treble of the RS-1 is a little harsh).

Balanced, the RS-1 gains a full-bodied sound with impact. This is a night and day difference; you can hear it right off the bat. I actually love it with bowls, whereas before I cannot listen to any Grado with bowls. I even used flats with my HF-1. Soundstage is increased but you know you are still listening to a Grado. I expected balanced operation would accentuate the highs, as it does the HD650. In this case, however, driving the RS-1 balanced with a monster amp actually makes it darker. I am somewhat pleasantly surprised, but no complaints here. The highs are also significantly smoother. I will experiment more with different pads and tubes. Right now, I am using bowls with Sylvania 6SN7/Tung-Sol 5687s.

Here's a pic:

IMG_1730.jpg

EDIT: For perspective, I consider the HD650 TRANSFORMED when driven balanced, in that it sounds like a different headphone. The Qualia on the other hand is IMPROVED driven balanced. It has the same sonic signature but everything seems to be at the next level. The Qualia remains my favorite balanced headphone. The RS-1, like the HD650, is also TRANSFORMED. Some of you guys may not like this as it doesn't sound like a typical Grado anymore. It is going in the HD650 direction -- kinda like the HF-1.

nice! ;D ...send me the SDS some time so I can hear them on that beast ;)

The k1ks are due in Wednesday... I cant wait

??? I sent them 3 Day Fed-Ex, which actually cost more than USPS priority. How did I get the RS-1s first? Anyways, I apologize for the delay. I should have gone USPS instead.

---Pat

However, I've been having good results on my single-ended amp with Tung Sol 5687's for gain, and Syl 6BL7GT's on the outputs, so I'm going to give that a try balanced when I get a moment.

I tried Tung Sol 5687's for gain and GE 6BL7GT's on the outputs and I got: soundstage. Yup, a Grado with a real soundstage. Less forward than using the 5687's on the outputs but it now has soundstage like a world-class headphone. Given that 80% of my library is acoustic (folk, Bluegrass) and Grados kick butt when it comes to acoustic instruments, this is not bad at all >:D

Now I am wondering, considering I prefer the HF-1 to the RS-1 in single-ended mode, how would the HF-1 sound balanced?

awwww... I want to try some balanced RS1's again, and some of those tube adaptors seems like fun too. ;)

and what's this about a balanced Qualia? must be great if it's your favorite balanced headphone. I don't have any balanced cables right now for my Qualia. :(;):P

• 2 weeks later...

I want to see better high resolution pictures of both of your RS1's. stop holding out on us dudes.

mine's apparently a second gen RS1.

OK, finally got around to post these pics. I tried hard to show the golden color on the R/L letters and the dark red driver mesh, but still did not showed up very clearly. The headband's leather is in pristine condition. This is a really nice pair of NOS RS1s. It came with flat pads that were attached to the wooden cups. I don't know whether they did that on purpose or just the time made the pads stick to the wood. But the uniformity of the "stickyness" makes me think that they were indeed glued to the cups. Anyway, those pads, had to come off because they were dry and sheading because of age. I have no idea whether what generation these are. They sound good, really good.

Many thanks to ayt999 for uploading the pics for me.

OLDRS1.JPG

OLDRS1INSIDE.JPG

OLDRS12.JPG

Man, seeing thread like this makes me want to go get RS-1's and have them balanced.

lol yep me too I've been thinking about it for a bit now, but I have a hunch prices for used rs-1s will be dropping soon so I'll wait till then :)

lol yep me too I've been thinking about it for a bit now, but I have a hunch prices for used rs-1s will be dropping soon so I'll wait till then :)

I hope so. A couple of years ago, used RS-1's were routinely going for $375-$400. That actually seemed about right. I easily found four or five of them in that price range for myself and friends. Not recently, though.