Oppo BDP-95

postjack

Trust me I'm feeling guilt for not coming here and posting more. :) I always find it difficult to review a source, way easier to review a headphone or speaker. Bottom line is I really like the BDP-95 and am excited for it to be my primary digital source for a very long time to come. DVD-A and SACD sound fantastic, very aggressive in that Sabre way, which I like quite a bit, though I know its not going to be for everyone. I also watched a live NIN Blu-Ray (beside you in time) and March of the Pigs was crazy. I thought my room was going to explode and Robin Fincke was gunna kill me.

What I still haven't done is try the USB input. :( I can't find any of my USB flash drives!

Is Sabre DACs generally aggressive? I hade the 83se for a while and really liked it for it´s non aggressive nature. I don´t consider DAC19 aggressive at all. Ref9 with DSP 5 has a bit more attack. I have a to small and crappy room for my 5.1 speaker system so that was really helpful. I haven´t encountered any other DAC that was as soft and smooth like the Sabre32 in the 83se. I sold it to see if I could make due with a 990$ Sony BDP-S370 to eventually fund a 95 not due to being displeased by it. The only thing that bothered me was the DVD upscaling. But I suppose there is no bluray player that get up to PC standard in this regard? anti noise filters and such was unusable on the oppo as well as the 370 due to smearing the image to much for example. Do the 95 fair better here?

One thing that worries is it´s not fairing to well in some swedish audiophile magazine that is very anal and measure the ins and out of everything. A lot of bugs mentioned. Handling the different channels incorrectly and other features not working yet?

Didn´t hae much issues with the 83se but then I just used it´s primary functions.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought I would resurrect this old thread since my 95 arrived yesterday. While at work, I formatted a 2TB drive to FAT32 and loaded a bunch of FLAC, about 300GB. When I got home I set up the 95 and connected the external usb drive. I figured I would run into all sorts of issues. To my surprise, it recognized the drive, has a very easy to use interface, displayed the album art when available and played music that really sounds great. I got nervous when I realized I didn't have a preamp when I was setting it up. Volume control was the one thing I had not considered when I bought the 95. I took a look at the manual and sure enough, it has volume control for analog outputs. I picked up the 2d season of Breaking Bad in BR and it worked like a charm. The picture quality was HD quality, So far, I'm pretty happy with this all in one solution.

I thought I would resurrect this old thread since my 95 arrived yesterday. While at work, I formatted a 2TB drive to FAT32 and loaded a bunch of FLAC, about 300GB. When I got home I set up the 95 and connected the external usb drive. I figured I would run into all sorts of issues. To my surprise, it recognized the drive, has a very easy to use interface, displayed the album art when available and played music that really sounds great. I got nervous when I realized I didn't have a preamp when I was setting it up. Volume control was the one thing I had not considered when I bought the 95. I took a look at the manual and sure enough, it has volume control for analog outputs. I picked up the 2d season of Breaking Bad in BR and it worked like a charm. The picture quality was HD quality, So far, I'm pretty happy with this all in one solution.

This is definitely a loaded player.

Question: When you're running that music of that hard drive and doing whatever it is you want to do with it I take it you have to have a TV or monitor on the entire time to see what you're doing otherwise from what I gather in the manual it's fairly user friendly, easy, and convenient? If I got either this or at least the 93 that's a feature I would definitely use.

Edited by Eric5676

• 7 months later...