I've Become a Computer Audio Wacko!

jp11801

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Foobar, go to Preferences > Advanced > Playback then set "Full file buffering up to (kB)" to any large number. See the picture I've attached.

Yep, if you have plenty of RAM setting this to ~50Mb will buffer a whole 5min uncompressed redbook audio file, or ~170Mb for 24bit/96kHz. Takes the hard drive completely out of the picture during playback, if people think that will help.

John, I always default to the wild-ass guess assumption that stuff like this comes down to noise (of either kind) or power supply issues. Or maybe psychological factors or something else. Who knows. We can't practically measure any of it, so who cares. If it sounds better, it sounds better.

Burning brain cycles wondering why while listening always mucks up the sound in my experience, though.

In Foobar, go to Preferences > Advanced > Playback then set "Full file buffering up to (kB)" to any large number. See the picture I've attached.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4131[/ATTACH]

Playing around with this now. Initially caused some stuttering. I increased the page file and memory buffering does sound slightly better :o wtfwtfwtf

Only tweaks I put any stock into was using kernal streaming or wasapi, setting low latency (about 400 if your pc can manage it) and page file buffering. Any read write function whether hard drive, SSD, or ram creates noise in the ground channel of my pc, don't know how that can affect the transport of digital bits exactly. I can easily hear it if I connect speakers to the onboard sound card.

I got sick of playing cds; I think it's just knowing the order of the tracks. Anyway, got bored with them.

I'm constantly amazed at how well just random play works on a large, well liked music collection.

My Ridgid job site radio has an enclosed dock for my iPod, and that is generally played on shuffle (about 450 CDs). That works well for the most part, but I do get the inevitable funny looks when Donna Summer or Babs slip in unannounced. :D

Heh heh, considering the OP's claim, everyone seems so respectful! Is the JP 6'4" and 280 pounds? :D

I also think SSD or normal HD shouldn't make a difference. But if I had to pull something out from the behind, maybe the SSD draws less power and therefore the power supply is quieter (supposedly more of a factor if USB is used).

I use a dedicated PC with RME HDSPe AES sound card and foobar as my main playback device. It doesn't seem to be quite as good as SACD, but it's close enough.

Now this is some great science fiction :palm:

"So what is different about the latest TMP? Virtually everything. In development for years, the latest TMP is a new beast that will rewrite the history of digital audio … Period! With patents pending and a new entirely fanless chassis, TMP with D2D with I.D.E.A.S. (Impulse Discharge of Events in Atemporal Space) uses technologies usually

employed in advanced satellite communications, and can reach staggering levels of jitter reduction, down to the femtosecond region.

I.D.E.A.S. can refine audio data to 1/100th the jitter of mechanical transports and 1/10th that of atomic and rubidium clocking technologies. *I.D.E.A.S. is a patent pending technology that creates a Virtual Perfect Compact Disc on the memory. *The VPCD is an empty but essentially perfect CD on writable memory that can only accept bits when they are

completely free of jitter. To avoid dropping mis-read bits, an advanced revision of intelligent re-reading (RUR Level 3) guides the laser until the VPCD is filled, at the precise jitter-free moment in time. *"

AudiogoN ForSale: The Memory Player Newest Release

to my ears it has increased separation and detail over the drobo. I really want to get another set of ears on this as it sounds very impressive.

I run a quad-Vertex array on the HTPC. So by rights I should be drowning in my jizz....?

No sonic changes since I moved the FLAC library off the WHS.

Tell me you're shitting us. Tell me, please.