Schiit Audio reveals gorgeous six-watt Lyr headphone amplifier

Grahame

The Asgard and the Valhalla are both decent amps, especially for their price. I'm not saying that they are going to make you lose sleep every night, having the well known disease of "needing to listen to one more song-itis". But, for the price, you are getting an amp (tubed or not) that sounds slightly better than it costs, made in America with good customer service.

I wonder if the name actually has any meaning to it? Did Grandpa Schitt innovate part of the circuitry? That would make some sense, especially since the three amps have a naming convention surrounding a common theme.

Also, I would like to re-iterate that Jason is good people who believes in giving the customer value for their dollar. A trait that seems to be getting lost in the sauce these days.

• 3 months later...
Guest bluesea

What with the two tubes and the shape of the metal around them, they have the option to change the co. name to Appendage, and rename the amp The Member. The Asgard would still be appropriate.

I think many companies choose such names as publicity stunts hoping for free marketing. For a small company, sometimes any publicity is good publicity. Would engadget even have written it up if it had a boring name? And if they have the balls to name their company Schiit, some will believe they must be really confident in their product.

There's an old Saturday Night Live skit around a Smucker's Jam ad slogan "With a name like Smucker’s, it has to be good!" SNL, just like this thread, came up with all sorts of variations including "With a name like Painful Rectal Itch..."

My first reaction to the product is a low volume chassis like that probably costs a lot more than all of the electronics combined. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's indicative of the intended customer's priorities. And Schiit wisely chose not to put the company name on the front or top panels of the product.

• 1 year later...