Monster on the prowl again.

Tyll Hertsens

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dusty and Carl are both right. I was actually just joking, but I would not put it past the Head Monster to want to squash Sleek. I also think it is funny that little old Sleek Audio with the goofy tunable and wireless earphones now has full-sized cans endorsed by 50 Cent. Makes me laugh thinking back to the amateur operation that had by the time of the Florida CanJam.

"These on-ear premium headphones are tuned to deliver natural, thumping base with crystal clear mids and highs. What you hear is just what the artist intended. Fanny Wang's On Ear Headphones elebrate the beauty of music on the outside as well as the inside. The iconic Wang design features a duo-fold design with sturdy aluminum hinges, a removable cord, and an integrated Duo Jack which allows you to easily share your music."

You could be wearing an iconic Wang. A pair, no less.

All this leads me to believe that my idea is a winner. I'm going to market headphones to young people, endorsed by famous opera singers.

It'll start of with the Pavarotti circumaural, marketed towards hip young guys. Then we'll bring out the Beverly Sills supraaural in a nice Gold lame, for trendy young gals. Wait a few months and then bammm! The Jim Neighbors custom IEM, in Gomer Pyle cammo!

Looks like Im gonna have my work cut out for me checking in on all these at CES.

Ill let you know how they sound.

Im actually encouraged by all this noise. Sorta like the joke that ends "with all this horse shit there has to be a pony in here somewhere." I can only hope that somewhere along the line these folks will actually have to start competing on the basis of something real ... say "sound quality." Now there's an idea!

I've been reading a lot of the news stories out there on this genre of cans, and the hatred for Monster and their approach to marketing headphones is stunning. Somewhere along the line there will be some backlash, and I'm hoping it will be in the form of exposing how wretched Monster cans sound, and how many better headphones there are out there.

For example: how cool would it be to find out the Sleek cans sound great and recommending them over Monsters might swing a lot of business in their direction. Putting Monsters marketing blitz results in some elses pockets,like Sleek, would give Sleek the money to RD better and better products.

To be truthful, I really hope Monster gets their shit together and uses their profits to improve the sound performance of their products. Doesnt seem very likely to me though.

I agree, Tyll. I was surprised to see yet another company show up with an obvious lack of audio knowledge. OK, maybe I wasn't surprised. But reading the marketing hype for "thumping base" and the worn out " crystal clear mids and highs" thing... It just speaks volumes about who they are and what they might be caring about (iPod carying kids.) As for Monster, instead of jumping on instant litigation, it might be more fun for them to set the record straight and use these challenger products in a public and friendly shoot-out. What's to lose?

Yeah, these look like they're facing outwards from the vehicle.

And yes, I realize deep bass is non-directional, but...aren't drivers designed for better dispersion etc. from the front -- they're not designed to have the optimal response from the backwave.

Also, they look wrong. So that's just out. They look like those passive baffles or whatever it is that Wilson-Benesch do.

And yes, I realize deep bass is non-directional, but...aren't drivers designed for better dispersion etc. from the front -- they're not designed to have the optimal response from the backwave.

Phase might be 180 out, but since you're within a 1/2 wavelength I don't think dispersion is an issue. You're basically pressurizing the passenger compartment on and off at a controlled rate.

I think blowing a windshied or an eardrum out is the big issue.

I think blowing a windshied or an eardrum out is the big issue.

Or a Door, or the body shell :)

23542.jpg

All About Cars: The world's biggest subwoofer

Unfortunately, Tim and his crew didn't realize just how much acoustical power the sub could generate, and didn't build the vehicle to contain it appropriately. Even at less than 1/2 output, the doors were blown off the tracks, and the entire vehicle ballooned in and out several inches. The woofer was installed in the "bread truck" anyway, and it went to Finals not fully tested.