Will Apple sour?

Tyll Hertsens

My new Droid rocks the boat.

My iTouch feels a bit dated now.

Will my iPad, yet to arrive on this New Year's eve day, feel just ordinary as the New Year's dawns tomorrow?

Five years hence, will Apple feel like Microsoft, and Microsoft like National Cash Register?

Has Apple just introduced us to the new millennium, only to find themselves running to catch up after showing everyone else how to do it?

pot.gif

Edited by Tyll Hertsens

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I buy the standard responses, but try this on for size:

Apple's big win was converging a lot of shit and making it simple to do everything from one (or a couple) of devices. Convergence is bitchen on Apples.

But, with Google as a backdrop, and various folks streaming various shit, and everyone playing catch-up with the Apple media experience, I think we might find better, deeper, more varietous, open, and controllable brands of convergence. In essence, the Apple "lock down" on 3rd party stuff will end up limiting them when convergence is better broadly.

In future, it may feel like you've sold out into the Apple world and hobbled by it. iTunes relentless desire to control my music pisses me off; I don't want a bigger version of that. It's not so much the hardware or OS, but the convergence upstream of your device that will count. The smarter the web gets, the more you'll only need a browser in your pocket --- and that's not very tough.

A open market of converged technologies may be better than the converged but closed world of Apple.

The droid interface has caught up to iPhone IMO. Each still it's strengths but the pace of innovation is increasing on the android platform. It should be a nice race to watch and we all win from the competition. On the computing side Apple still wins, and that is coming from a lifelong Windows fanboy. Win7 runs at least as good in Parallels as stand alone, and sometimes I think it runs better.

Edited by morphsci

The smarter the web gets, the more you'll only need a browser in your pocket --- and that's not very tough.

Two words why it's more difficult than it appears - Internet Explorer.

As for the "closedness" of Apple products, I much prefer the polished, stable, and less frustrating user experience that it offers than other "open" products that tend to offer more tweakability & user control in exchange for instability and more frustrating user experience.

In regards to the whole invention issues, inventing is important, but application of said inventions and putting it out in market in usable form is more important, IMO.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

i imagine that it will happen at the same time as the Year of Linux on the Desktop.

:)

I kinda buy your points. It's going to be an interesting struggle.

I got a MacBook, iTouch, and iPad (it arrived! letting it warm up a bit before it goes into the otterbox), and despite my qvetching above, I'm going to try to do as much of my work as I can in Appleland because it's so much more enjoyable than in Windows.

Win7 runs at least as good in Parallels as stand alone

I agree, I think my preference beyond the fact that their close is the refreshing feel of a beautifully designed product. Intangibles can be sweet.

Edited by Tyll Hertsens

I also hope that Apple will reduce the price of their computers. Just look at iPhone or iPod, people tend to buy Apple's product if they are priced similarly to others. Here in Canada, from my observation, out of 10 smartphones, 7 are iPhones and 2 Blackberry and 1 Samsung/HTC/Nokia.

As for the "closedness" of Apple products, I much prefer the polished, stable, and less frustrating user experience that it offers than other "open" products that tend to offer more tweakability & user control in exchange for instability and more frustrating user experience.
Then Apple had better get off their ass and fix iTunes. As more and more of their product base becomes 100% tethered to this piece of software it becomes a crucial thing to get right. The current version is a piece of shit.

The fact that the iPad cannot load much of anything without being tied to a computer is short-sighted and IMO provides a big impediment to purchase. There's an opportunity there for Apple in Rev2 of the iPad, but I don't think they'll be taking it.

There computers are great, provided that you don't want to do much with them. Some allow better processing power and graphics, but they are still ignoring a (not-insignificant?) population by not having a more powerful option. They also seem to have a huge hard-on for battery life, when I just don't see that it matters once you get beyond a few hours with most laptops.

I think Steve does a great job running the company and steers it better than any other tech product firm that I can think of, I guess I'm just still amazed at the apparent ball-drops that still occur.

Google doesn't seem to understand that Apple doesn't care if everybody on the planet has one of their products.

I guess I think the "coolness" gap may be closing, and Apple may have a harder and harder time demanding the prices with other products close enough at 2/3 the price. Then it'll be harder to be on the money making curve.

why would they? have you seen the stock prices and the amount of money they are making?

Stock price isn't anything. Imaging if one can save $1,000 by getting a Windows laptop over MacBook, and use that $1,000 to sponsor a child with Worldvision, well, not everyone or every company feel the need of being responsible socially.

do you have market data to back that up?

Look below, "from my observation"