Will Apple sour?

Tyll Hertsens

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mac Pro is a great workstation and runs Win 7 great. In coherence mode I can almost forget I'm running Windows. It was essentially the only option for me as I need to run both operating systems. There is no longer any software I need to run that I cannot. Plus that big hunk of aluminum is a lot cooler than the Dell workstation it replaced. That being said I opted for two HP monitors that together cost significantly less than one slightly smaller Apple monitor. Dual monitors FTW. Also Excel does blow on OSX.

I really don't want to sound like I'm bashing Google (have a Nexus One and a GoogleTV coming - I know, I know), but as this started out with the premise of iOS seeming a bit dated to Android now, I have to say I don't think it's caught up, let alone beat iOS. That's of course because of what I value. As others have said Apple will sacrifice functionality until it can get it into an integrated design. Google will sacrifice a holistic design as it pursues functionality. Tyll, you've got both devices. Visit a website and copy and paste a block of text over to a text editor in both (ignoring the text editor options on both which is another issue). The iPhone/iPod touch of course didn't have the c/p option on launch, but compare the two and tell me how Androids solution is as well thought out? Maybe good enough, but a sign of the differences. And I doubt either will change much in near future as an expected standard is now in place. So which is the better path to implementation? Which is the grander step in mobile computing? Probably depends on user. Some, but not all, of these issues are only exaggerated in more complicated different paths of AppleTV v. GoogleTV.

One area I think they're on par is hype of release. Froyo was as overhyped as any iOS releases.

As for tablets, I've spent a bit of time with the Galaxy Tab and last week the Nook Color. The latter is not even considered a tablet, but many are approaching it as an off-contact option half the price of the comparable iPad. The Tab is selling out all over. Nook seems to be doing well also. If you remove some side issues where people would want to avoid one or the other (Verizon v. AT&T, previously bought/future use apps, etc.), I don't know why anyone would pick either Android tablet. In smoothness or integration to the form factor they're way behind Apple. Argue phones, but this is a more lopsided fight. But we'll see sometime next year. I just thought it would be an interesting fight sooner.

I think an interesting question is is iOS becoming more Android-like or vice versa in open/closed, design emphasis, functionality set, etc. I'd say it's easily Google becoming more Apple-like. When the opposite occurs then I'll say Google is ahead.

And there are other options more open than Android. They're just not very practical, especially in the US. And once ease of use is taken into consideration, iOS, at worst, is a viable option.

Finally, a lot of comments out there (not here) are by people who've never spent much time with the other OS. They don't have any experience with the app options available or a particular service integration. To them a better/worse email or Twitter or Wikipedia or RSS UI isn't even part of the equation. And these devices are much more about software than the desktop/laptop worlds.

Edited by blessingx

I have to admit I've been drawn to the closed/stable side of things with Apple.

Though I will agree that iTunes is a liability. I've had a major, well-known problem with no fix lately... iTunes can't synch or copy music to my iPhone without screwing up the album art. Art is still correct on the computer, but once its copied, the iPhone can't seem to keep it straight. There's no rhyme or reason on which art will end up with which album.

Thankfully, they haven't completely shut out third-part programs. Media Monkey successfully transferred my 26 GB or so of music to my iPhone with album art intact. Having the incorrect art was driving me crazy!

My $.02:

Will Apple sour or shrink to a niche player? Of course. That's what happens to tech companies that dominate a market. Eventually.

But when? Conventional wisdom says five or even ten years is way too soon. I think a fifteen year run at the top is some sort of rule of thumb. ( I'm not sure what to think of Motorola here. Their glory days lasted fifity years. )

Apple's success, both in terms of penetration and margins comes from fashion. The fat profits that enable the really highly polished products come from charging monster premiums for cool. Cool is a volitile world. Fashion can change mighty fast. Nowadays five years is a long, long time, expecially in telecom.

We'll see.

IMO it's very possible Apple follows the same path as Sony did. Going from producing innovative hardware to trying too hard into the contents business. They still will make great gear if they keep things simple as in a small company so they can move fast and being the first to introduce something fresh, practical and interesting. So the question they need to answer is, what's next? then doing it fast, reliable and easy to use. As far as Jobs is alive they can still surprise us, but once he passes away, I'm not that sure they're able to move as fast and precisely as they're doing now.

Anything is possible, but so far Apple has played the content card beautifully and Sony terribly (at least from the electronics perspective). Apples content distribution has helped launch the iDevices and Sonys content ownership has killed the Walkmen. If Apple starts down the ownership path, maybe, but it's hard to imagine, as long as Jobs is alive, Apple would ever sue itself... Wired 11.02: The Civil War Inside Sony

First computer I ever used was an Apple LC II. Pretty much have used Apple ever since.

I remember when iTunes used to be SoundJam MP.

The only thing I'm concerned with is when Jobs kicks the bucket. Not saying everything he does turns to gold, but I'm curious what will happen.

Somebody told me that the next OS might be similar to the iPad? Not sure if I would like that. I have no need for an iPad but I'd love to have one.

I think the Mac App Store is a really great idea. Taking the same ease of use in snagging apps from your iPhone, and porting that to regular computer software with all the slickness and ease that comes with Apple? Hell yeah. Easy instant gratification.

More on topic, I've been waiting for Apple to jump the old shark for a while now. How is it that a company can continually be at the top of their market in innovation, have such outstanding advertising, hype, and publicity, offer best in class customer service? How long can they really hold this up?

I was kind of thinking this time last year that the iPad might be that moment, that new product that is just ridiculous enough to put a dent in the Apple brand. Turns out iPads are the shit and I am wrong.

And as it stands, based on numerous reviews, I just don't think there is a Droid phone out there that gives me everything my iPhone gives me, at least in terms of my phone priorities.

IMO it's very possible Apple follows the same path as Sony did. Going from producing innovative hardware to trying too hard into the contents business. They still will make great gear if they keep things simple as in a small company so they can move fast and being the first to introduce something fresh, practical and interesting. So the question they need to answer is, what's next? then doing it fast, reliable and easy to use. As far as Jobs is alive they can still surprise us, but once he passes away, I'm not that sure they're able to move as fast and precisely as they're doing now.

It's a similar strategy to a company I used to work for, EMC. They wanted an all-in-one enterprise solution, much like Apple wants an all-in-one consumer solution. I suppose both are doing just fine in their profit margins along with their customer support. Fresh and innovative wasn't EMC's strong suit, their Symmetrix line is still alive and kicking. Apple's Mac Pro is and will continue to have a market share comparable to the Symmetrix, albeit different types of customers. I'm a few years out of the IT loop so my knowledge may be a little outdated.

I think EMC is owned by vmware these days if we are talking about the same EMC…

Other way around, EMC acquired vmware, along with RSA, documentum, and other products. I did like their presentation of vmware in action when I worked at GSG, but the whole "command center" layout was reminiscent of CNN's situation room.

I think it will take some years until there's some real alternative to the Apple products but until then, Apple will have come up with even newer products. Most companies are not interested in being the pioneer publishing new and advanced products but in making money. So it's enough for them to sell cheap hardware that might lack good software. Microsoft e.g. might come up in the future as a real competitor but they are always a step behind Apple if you think about new inventions and also marketing. I'm currently interested in a product similair to the iPod touch with less restrictions in the software but there is just no alternative available.

I'm currently interested in a product similair to the iPod touch with less restrictions in the software but there is just no alternative available.

That really will change soon with all the android devices. You can practically go buy an android smartphone now and not use a provider.