Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Honestly, I didn't like it as much as the first. Too dense and loafy if that makes sense. Looking for another recipe though, any recommendations? The chowder above was awesome!

Also, a little on the crumbly side. I like the pain a l'ancienne recipe from the aforementioned bread baker's apprentice, it does require kneading and rise time (overnight in the refrigerator) so it is much easier if you have something like a stand mixer which can do the kneading for you.

Marc, any interest in sourdough breads?

I bring it up because my Mom has a sourdough starter that she started before I was born, and at 50+ years it's incredible. Her Alaskan sourdough pancake recipe is the best I've ever tatsed too.

I could bring some up when we fly out.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a couple of pizzas for lunch, one mushroom and the other cheese.

I have 2 spatchcock chickens on the Traeger for dinner. I used some cajun injection and peeper, smoked paprika, kosher salt, garlic and onion powder. I coated the skin with olive oil.

Al, how did that roast turn out?

Funny you should ask, Mike, because I was about to post a quick pic from last night. I called the Meat Meister for a quick pep talk before using the Traeger for the first time and got some good tips. I bought a small pork loin roast and a small slab of baby back ribs but it was too late for a low and slow option. I got the Traeger going on Smoke, and then covered the meat with a good coating of Butt Rub, not knowing just how salty and spicy it was. I smoked them for about 45 minutes and then turned up the heat to high and cooked them for another 45 minutes or a little more, turning them once. It turned out it was a little long for the roast because there was no pink but the great thing was that it was moist and tender with a great crust from the rub. The ribs took in a lot more of the smoke and were really spicy and juicy and delicious. Everyone else was scraping off a bit -- or a lot -- of the rub but I loved it. There is a learning curve, of course, but this thing is damn easy and the next one will be more low and slow.

web.jpg?ver=12958173280001

NY Steak on the BBQ; salad with roasted beets, tomatoes, goat cheese, chopped mesquite roasted cashews, and homemade dijon/sherry vinegrette, baked potato with sour cream and butter (unfortunately, I forgot to make the bacon for bacon bits!)

With a glass of 2008 Durigutti Malbec

No time for picture though... it's about time to eat!

Edit: Dinner was great, except I overcooked the steak, dammit! (I closed the lid since it was cold outside which caused the steak to cook a lot of faster than I anticipated). It was still very tasty. The Malbec was very good with the dinner.

975zN.jpg

By the way, if anyone is interested in some good and reasonably price steak knives, I can wholeheartly recommend the Forschner rosewood handle straight edge steak knives, I have been using them for a couple of months and they are really nice.

Edited by shellylh

Everything should come with tikka masala sause. Nice dish, Shelly.

1 in 7 curries sold in the UK is a CTM (Chicken Tikka Masala)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tikka_masala

It's even been called "Britain's true national dish"

Chicken Tikka Massala is now a true British national dish, not only because it is the most popular, but because it is a perfect illustration of the way Britain absorbs and adapts external influences. Chicken Tikka is an Indian dish. The Massala sauce was added to satisfy the desire of British people to have their meat served in gravy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2001/apr/19/race.britishidentity

• 2 weeks later...