Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Last week's major cooking project was twelve quarts of spicey Moroccan lentil soup with mint and sumac. Cooked half the lentils in vegetable broth with S&P, ginger, saffron, cayenne, flaked pepper, hot mustard, tumeric, nutmeg, cinnamon and other stuff in my pressure cooker and then pureed it with the immersion blender. Started the other half with a whole seed cumin tadke in EVOO, then minced garlic, cooked crumbled bacon, chopped onions, carrots, celery (with beautiful folliage), green pepper, drained diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Deglazed the pan with chicken stock before adding the pureed cooked lentils and the soaked raw lentils and more chicken stock. My big advance this cooking season has been to do the long simmer on soups and sauces dutch oven style in a 300F oven. The soup, with sour cream and fresh cilantro garnish and fresh Ukranian rye bread on the side was really good. Did I mention the obligatory glass of cab?

Today, I'm working on a rolled pork roast. Heading up to prepare the marinade/glaze and get it all rubbed in. Then brown and braise in my big oval french oven to juicy fall-apart succulentness. To be served with oven roasted root vegetables (russet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, turnips) in EVOO and rosemary. Maybe some steamed, dressed pea pods. And another glass of you-know-what.

5453646212_983cb63774_b.jpg

Beer braised rolled pork roast with herbed/spiced mustard marinade with savory cranberry chutney, oven roasted root vegetables with rosemary and a glass of cab. :D

Edited by Old Pa