Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Makes perfect sense. Half of the attraction for me is the tenderness which sounds so easy to achieve, the other half is how well it seems to match my day - I can get it started early in the day, let it cook for a wide variation of time, then when it's dinner time, take five minutes to sear it and be ready to eat.

Thanks, I'll plan to get one after spring break.

Looks like you didn't have a lot of oven spring, and the crumb is dense.  What were your fermentation and proof times?  How much kneading was done? I've done a lot of wild yeast starters, and I may be able to help.  I'm sure it was tasty, though: that's one of the nice things about sourdough bread. :)

I think I made one major mistake.. I did the first rise (see what happens), then did the second rise in a glass bowl (see if it comes back). I tried to be as gentile as possible getting it onto a sheet, but it still lost lots of air (knowing that a 3rd rise was not really in the cards).

So, my next phase is to get my starter going.. get a nice first rise.. punch down and then form the bread on a sheet (what I did not do).. wait for the second rise.. and then bake away..

but open for any advise/tips.. 

Cheers,

Mikey

Over my break, a friend and I did a dry aged strip proper justice in the hacked-together sous vide:

CqlJzsGl.jpg

3 hours in the cooker then seared on the grill. Possibly one of the best steaks I've ever had and certainly the best I've ever cooked. Now I also have an Anova arriving Thursday.