Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

It's been a long time since I've been in this thread, but I made Modernist Cuisine Caramelized Carrot Soup and Modernist Mac and Cheese to bring to my cousin's Thanksgiving dinner...

Also, we've been doing Blue Apron lately. It's a wonderful time-saver; I get to cook without shopping or having to worry about too many leftovers (there are none). It's nice to get just two stalks of celery when you need them for a recipe instead of buying a bunch then throwing it away later on. And did I mention I don't have to shop?

• Like 1

Put some meat glue between bacon and chicken

3hK6r6Il.jpg

The bond was not as strong as I was expecting. Still damn delicious though.

Edit: was finished with the Searzall too. I love that thing purely for the fire and the fact that it sounds like a small rocket.

Edited by Emooze
  • Like 1

So after some searching around for ideas, I came across the fact that the meat glue enzyme isn't a huge fan of salt. I was using salt cured bacon which would explain the disappointing bond. Last night I glued together the remaining two chicken breasts with a piece of cheese in between them (had I had ham, it would have been cordon bleu) and when I pulled it out of the bag just now, it was seriously like one piece of meat. I couldn't even get a fingernail in the seam to try and pull it apart. Lesson learned, too much salt means a bad bond. Also experimenting so far has been delicious.

• Like 1

No sous vide here, but a beautiful prime rib roast (5 ribs) is sitting in the fridge and ready to be roasted tomorrow. I'm going with a slow roast method from Chow.com where Matt's Nog originated. They suggest separating the bones from the meat and re-trussing to cook. This allows easier carving and greater seasoning area inside the incision, and still allows the bones to add flavor and substance. After the brief superhot finish to crust the outside, you simply cut the twine, separate the bones and then slice the meat without obstacle. The bones get cut up to serve for cave-man types. Should be good, but further reporting tomorrow.

Here is the slab of meat (note that is a really long ex-Jacob knife for scale):

76612bbc095f73edc52e36f5c41c98a9.jpg

11264b7be421532b05d14ba1efe7e219.jpg

Here is the meat with the bones sliced off and set back in place:

63a3ea06ff7bbcf122170b82e1ee418b.jpg

Here is the meat with some seasoning and all trussed up with no place to go, except the fridge for the night:

2e73a196f601e4f4703b51f266e9270b.jpg

27d2048628eea191a2b67e1bebc1e99f.jpg

And finally, here is the jus in progress with some knuckle and marrow bones giving up the goods:

3bb43267113cb5fb84f7465b9aae7386.jpg

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 9