Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Thanks Jacob,

Ken, the recipe comes from the King Arthur Cookie Companion and starts with the base, American Style Biscotti, recipe.  

6T Butter (soft)

2/3C sugar (type varies by recipe, in this case white)

1/4t salt

1t vanilla 

1-1/2t baking powder

2 eggs

2C all purpose flour

Cream the first 5 ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.  Beat in the two eggs. Add flour and mix until smooth.  Transfer dough to a parchment lined baking sheet and form into a log roughly 14" long, 5" wide and 3/4" thick.  Use a pastry/dough cutter to smooth the top and sides of the log.  Wet the cutter as needed.  Bake at 350F for ~25min.  Let stand 10min then remove to a cutting board.  Mist top and sides to soften and let stand additional 5 minutes.  Slice evenly (~3/4" slices) and evenly distribute on lined baking sheet leaving space between slices.  Bake for additional 10-15min at 325F.  

In the specific case that I made last night prior to adding the flour you add 1C of packed shredded, sweetened coconut and 1C semi-sweet chocolate chips.  I usually use mini chips for better distribution in the dough but I only had normal sized chips last night.  I also roughly double the vanilla in this version.  I don't believe that one can use too much vanilla in most things.  It's a somewhat time-intensive recipe with the double baking and stand times but when time permits, it's definitely worth it.  

There are many variants that you can make including my other favorite, cinnamon chip.  I think most of those can actually be found on the King Arthur site.