Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Got what I thought was a pretty good rib eye from Publix. Preheated a seasoned cast iron pan to 500C (highest my oven goes to). Put the steak in, 3 minutes on each side. Came out medium rare. It didn't get a sear though for some reason (maybe it was the bone that prevented proper contact but there was enough meat touching the pan that didn't get seared). It also came out to be the chewiest steak I've ever made. So chewy that I gave up on it after like 20 seconds and spat out the bolus. Any thoughts on what might have made the steak so chewy? Usually I stick to boneless steaks but figured I'd give the bone in a try (it was cheaper too). 

I miss my grill :( Simple little charcoal Weber on the balcony but after 2 years of living here, all of a sudden I was asked to remove it by the association because it was against the rules. All the while, people on the first floor (I am on the third) all over the place continue to grill stuff every day.