Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cast Iron pan works well as heat ballast, as do paving bricks wrapped in aluminum foil.  I adore my baking steel, and get awesome crust off of it when I get the chance to heat it properly.

You will save yourself a lot of trouble with a pizza peel of an appropriate size for your oven, but that's a very large piece of equipment for a thing like pizza, which is made infrequently.  In a pinch, after I roll out dough I set it on the underside of a cookie sheet covered in corn flour to add sauce, toppings, etc.  Pizzas slide right off the cookie sheet and on to the stone pretty easily, which is helpful because they start cooking the moment they touch down.

Also, if you're not using them already, canned marzano tomatoes are phenomenal.  I prefer them to fresh tomatoes by a wide margin.

On 12/23/2015 at 11:30 PM, Voltron said:

http://www.bakingsteel.com/

I haven't tried pizza on mine yet, but it is one of the main reasons for the Baking Steel's existence.  Check it out.

Added to my cooking wish list. 

I have always wanted to build a nice outdoor wood fired pizza oven. One of these days.