Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

• 2 weeks later...

It was yesterday, but kimchi pressure-cooker risotto (made with miso broth that included kimchi juice and parmesan rinds, with sautéed kimchi, garlic, and shallot, with ajikiri and sake replacing the normal white wine) and roasted butternut squash soup.  Nice early autumn meal.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hopstretch said:

That sounds awesome!

It's pretty easy.  I follow the serious eats pressure cooker risotto recipe, more or less.  Make 3 cups of miso whatever is your normal way (I use paste, bonito flake [this is not strictly vegetarian, and of course traditional kimchi has shrimp fry included] and a pressure cooker), and add some kimchi juice to it (I like the whole cabbage style, and I squeeze some dry, and capture the juice; you need to add 1 cup of kimchi juice to the 3 cups of miso).  I had some parmesan rinds, so I tossed them in.  You then just sauté the dry kimchi, with a finely sliced shallot and 3-4 minced garlic cloves.  Replace the wine with ajikiri and/or sake (I did 1/4 cup ajikiri to a 1/2 cup dry sake), or even beer.  Add a nob of butter and some additional parm at the end, before serving.  I find that, with my pressure cookers (and I've been using a Fissler, of late), that I need to add a couple minutes to Kenji's timing.  the 10 PSI setting is definitely the one you want to use, for al dente rice.

The soup is super simple.  Roast two medium sized squashes, toast the seeds (reserve), roast a bulb of garlic. add roasted squash flesh, after it cools, to Vitamix or similar blender (I use an Oster Versa 1400).  Add 3 cups vegetable broth.  Add roasted garlic.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add olive oil to taste.  Crank blender to high until the soup is extremely creamy and hot.  Serve immediately, top with a drizzle of olive oil and the reserved toasted seeds.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...