Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:39 PM, EdipisReks1 said:

Haven't watched the video. When doing high temp searing, a lot of smoke will be produced. 

I picked up a two carbon steel pans to try out.  The first time I used them, I forgot that smoke can be an issue with high heat and before I knew it the kitchen was full of smoke. Now, I make sure the hood fan is on.  So far, I love cooking with them but it can be challenge to keep Gail from taking a sponge and soap to them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tyrion said:

I'm seasoning as I use them.  I clean with paper towel, no soap or water and coat with oil while stored.  I prefer the pans to my grill for most items I would grill, like steak, pork chops, etc.

Watch the video, she espouses a convincing argument for seasoning the entire pan, not just the cooking area.  I'd be curious if anyone else would be convinced.  I'm also curious if it's a bad idea to coat the pan with oil -- which is flammable, neh? -- on the flame side at all, since she never addresses the issue.

• Like 1

I will occasionally use a sponge on my pan but mostly just clean it with some paper towels and if needed, leave a coating of all, similar to my kitchen knives.  With the knives, mostly just run under faucet, driy with towel and put up on the magnet.  From time to time, I will put some oil on the blades.