Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Risotto.  Carnaroli, olive oil, onion, garlic, wine, salt, pepper, kombu-cremini broth, butter, parm.  I think I've finally mastered risotto; it's taken years.   A copper pan and a whisk definitely beats a pressure cooker, at the expense of a lot of time.

IMG_1410.JPG

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 5

Had a jointly prepared meal with Claire's sister and her GF who gave me the Deep Run Roots cookbook, written by the owner of the Chef & the Farmer restaurant. I made the cornpone, collard greens, creamed collard greens and pickled collard stems. Sister in law made Brussels sprouts, apple and pomegranate salad and glazed pork loin over rutabagas and pork belly. Claire made the pecan-chewy pie with chocolate gelato dessert. Great recipes and we marveled that the meal wasn't heavier.

c63314479748da25c826196a92b55f9c.jpg

e59e5ae02f6b272cd7005e361f98cae2.jpg

f3ffabb28e218d54c4ef9e6e58b29ae9.jpg

51c18754522b5445be71bd5905e0b18c.jpg

f8df81cf451392af7fee9687ddd0a36f.jpg

e1f776b7b3b498d41df62606232af1e7.jpg

e3d452eceed2850eee735d8e8e79a2a0.jpg

• Like 11

I use a recipe that I found (randomly) here:

http://www.recipetineats.com/pork-carnitas-mexican-slow-cooker-pulled-pork/

It really does produce excellent results - at least in my family's opinion.

I usually make a pretty big batch (3-4lbs) and we'll use them for pork tacos with fresh pico and guac.  I made fresh pico tonight to use as the tomato/onion portion of the nachos.  Sadly, one of the avacados that I'd bought was too far gone so no guac.  Turned out it wasn't necessary.

Side note - didn't know you'd gone full Veg, Jacob.  

That looks like a tasty way to make it!  

If you ever wanna go old school, I'd be happy to send you a 5 lb tub of lard (this isn't a joke, I have multiple 5 pound tubs of lard, from back when I did this a lot; it doesn't go bad) for free.  Cube the pork, drench it in fresh lime juice and salt, then simmer (keep it below 212) in lard for many hours.  Turn it up, for the last hour, to brown.  Let cool a bit, and shred.  Absorbine and Catcoon can tell you how this recipe is.  A 10 pound shoulder can easily be cooked in 5 pounds of lard.  You have about 4 pounds of lard left over, which is perfect the next day, to cook an 8 pound pork shoulder.

Of course, if you really want to go old school, you'd dig a pit in your yard, put a goat head that has marinated in lime and salt in a pot, cover in lard, then cover the pot in banana leaves, fill the pit with coals, then bury the whole thing with dirt.  Extract the next day and make tacos!  I suggest a 20 quart pot; goat heads are big.

if you don't count a few sushi dinners, on first dates, I haven't had meat since last summer.  I think.  There might have been a Taco Bell run, in autumn...

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

That looks like a tasty way to make it!  

If you ever wanna go old school, I'd be happy to send you a 5 lb tub of lard (this isn't a joke, I have multiple 5 pound tubs of lard, from back when I did this a lot; it doesn't go bad) for free.  Cube the pork, drench it in fresh lime juice and salt, then simmer (keep it below 212) in lard for many hours.  Turn it up, for the last hour, to brown.  Let cool a bit, and shred.  Absorbine and Catcoon can tell you how this recipe is.  A 10 pound shoulder can easily be cooked in 5 pounds of lard.  You have about 4 pounds of lard left over, which is perfect the next day, to cook an 8 pound pork shoulder.

Of course, if you really want to go old school, you'd dig a pit in your yard, put a goat head that has marinated in lime and salt in a pot, cover in lard, then cover the pot in banana leaves, fill the pit with coals, then bury the whole thing with dirt.  Extract the next day and make tacos!  I suggest a 20 quart pot; goat heads are big.

Hooooly shit I need to eat this.

:frantic: