Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Orange beef (ribeye) and bok choy with oyster sauce. Last minute pic before consumption.

4db738c29c1c0b33453e6c10196331c3.jpg

I've been making a lot of orange beef lately, always interested in variations, would be interested in what recipe you use.  I'm not a fan of ginger, so usually eschew, but I know most people find it traditional.

First of all thanks for the link.

1 minute ago, Voltron said:

Ginger included but I guess you could skip. Not sure why because it is so awesome.

It is awesome, I love the flavour.  I just can't handle a lot of it, and it's easier to use none at all than a little.  I don't know what happened.  Back when I worked at Voice of America, I always had a delicious ginger ale or ginger beer (I forget which) that they had there at the cafeteria, and one day -- it was very abrupt  -- I think I just hit a saturation point, and I couldn't finish the bottle I was drinking and never had it again.  Every once in a while, I will run into a recipe at a Chinese restaurant that I like, but can't consume large quantities of, and one of the common ingredients is ginger.  Which is sad, because it's used in a lot of Chinese and Thai dishes.

I can handle pickled ginger just fine, though.  The kind that comes with sushi.

Ginger gives me heartburn.  I wish I could eat more of it, because I love ginger.  I drink a Moscow Mule at my own peril.

11 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I can handle pickled ginger just fine, though.  The kind that comes with sushi.

Perhaps protein/(s) that give you trouble are denatured by the acidity, but aren't denatured by the temperatures usually applied. 

• Like 1