Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Batch #2 is still going strong, so after watching this video:

...decided to go with garlic paste, and then top it off with ground dried roasted garlic from a grinder, for those two different tastes, which I always kind of knew, but never really understood.  I do like fresh chopped garlic too, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never tasted that in a sauce that I’ve made.  And then store it for later eating.

• Like 3

I like things simple :)

If time allows, JD + spices + poly bags + red meat. You marinate it right, all you need is a frying pan, can't mess it up.

If time doesn't allow, spaghetti + tuna or freshly grinded tomatoes. Tons of Kerrygold or extra mature cheddar on top.

The end.

Have heard mention of vegetables / assorted ""healthier"" ingredients, but i'm a man of science. Barring hard scientific data (which -lacking the knowledge- i'm thankfully unable to collect myself), i refuse to give in to petty fallacies and as such ignore them. One must above all be reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

I cooked up some premarinated wagyu beef, and found it just a touch too sweet, so I looked up wagyu beef marinade sugar, and found it was added for tenderness.  Any of y’all put sugar in your rubs?

I ask, because I want to make my own with either less sugar—as little as possible—or a substitute (like honey or agave nectar or orange juice).

I know raouche cafe (local kabob place) uses less, because I can barely taste it, but it has the tenderness I crave.

Peter,

My 2c - for pork, yes I use brown sugar in my rubs. For beef, no, I only use salt and pepper.  I might feel differently about a marinade, depending on the flavor that I was going for but I generally don't do my own marinades for any non-mexican dish and again, in those regardless of meat, I don't use sugar.  Citrus juice absolutely, but no added sugar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n_maher said:

Peter,

My 2c - for pork, yes I use brown sugar in my rubs. For beef, no, I only use salt and pepper.  I might feel differently about a marinade, depending on the flavor that I was going for but I generally don't do my own marinades for any non-mexican dish and again, in those regardless of meat, I don't use sugar.  Citrus juice absolutely, but no added sugar.

Thanks, Nate. I've used orange juice before to good effect, but it needs to be worked into the recipe, like wok-fried orange beef.

I'm going to talk to the guy at raouche cafe, his is not citrusy at all. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:33 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

Making Vegetarian Hot Salsa/Nacho Toppings for tomorrow’s work party 

I’m really pleased with how it’s coming out.

Needs onions and garlic though.  Perhaps some sour cream.

5CA22816-9ACE-426A-9F27-09A6CFBFBF40.jpeg

Unbeknownst to me, this fucking disappeared at the party.  Some of it was actually stolen.

I guess I’ll be making more.

• Like 3