Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

I made sloppy joes yesterday. It’s basically the same as my goulash recipe, except I run everything through a food processor first.

Jar of pasta sauce (I used a Fra Diavola(?sp) this time)
1 can tomato paste
1 thing of mushrooms
1 thing of cauliflower
13 stalks of celery
Cumin
White pepper
Black pepper
Hungarian hot paprika
1 whole onion
5 red Thai peppers
1 package of ground meat (I used chicken this time)
Beef broth
Rice to soak up the extra liquid, and change the consistency from soupy to sloppy-joey
And a dollop of garlic to taste

no olives this time

Bonus techno-fuckery

slopjo.gif

• Like 3

5 hours ago, n_maher said:

Nice Brent! I've got a frozen pork shoulder that I really need to thaw out and smoke next weekend. 

Heh, I think I'm about to go heat some up. You know, you could always just take the frozen shoulder, throw it in a bag and '-vide it for ~24, throw it in the fridge, and then finish with a smoke when you're ready.

Tried a recipe from a restaurant, Pastabilities, in Syracuse, NY as seen on DIners, Drive-Ins and Dives, called Wicked Chicken Riggies. Basically chicken and rigatoni in a spicy tomato cream sauce. Quite good and the whole family enjoyed it. I'll be doing it again. The recipe makes a huge portion of the sauce; I cut it in half and still have enough for another meal for 4.

IMG_1902.jpg.d9b81e48a41b0875bdd87621857633f7.jpg

Sorry, I'd already started eating before I took the pic :)

• Like 4

Just now, n_maher said:

That assumes that I eventually get the 'vide cooker that I've had for over a year up and running. It's still in the box in storage... ME FAIL.

No worries, n8. Just make it part of your homeschooling syllabus!

In case it helps you get started, I reheated some things:
Bag juice + SBR's Sweet 'n' Spicy reduction, with some cayenne added for a kick

2020-04-27.jpg

2020-04-27.jpg

2020-04-27.jpg

Now I need to get some King's Hawaiian rolls to make some pulled pork sliders.

• Like 2

9E758A22-B1A9-4FDD-9852-40B74B73C6CC.thumb.jpeg.b6a04094e9c3348ff891597e586d1531.jpeg

Pork Butt smoked on the Traeger for nine hours, prepared mostly according to the recipe for Momofuku's Bo Ssam

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12197-momofukus-bo-ssam?smid=ck-recipe-iOS-share 

Claire and I ate it Momofuku/Korean style in lettuce wraps and relevant sauce/accouterments, but Alden and Steve made pulled pork sandwiches with BBQ sauce and all seemed to be pleased. 

• Like 9

Treat the rice a as a "lead item".  Cook it in a rice cooker - the instructions will give you an estimated cooking time to work with, and the better ones have a countdown indicator, and a "keep warm" function , to help decouple your dependency on needing to serve the rice "right now"

Would a PERT chart help?

"Plan cooking a dinner ..."

https://www.pdd-resources.net/solutions-19.html

• Like 2

Rice is a 22 minute proposition. You boil twice the amount of water as rice in two minutes or so, add the rice, cover the pot and turn down the heat to low, set the timer for 20 minutes, leave it covered, and after 20 minutes turn off the heat. At that point, you can eat it or it will sit happily in the covered pot for another 30 or more minutes without much change in heat or moisture. 

• Like 3

Melt butter in a cast iron dutch oven on the hot plate. Add spices and salt and let the spices sizzle. Add the dry rice and saute for a few minutes moving it continually until it smells toasty. Then add 2x the water as you added rice, or even better, use stock. Bring rice and water to a boil (it should be almost instant - otherwise your pot was not hot enough to properly toast the rice). Then move it to the slow cooking oven. It will be done in 17 minutes, but can be left for an hour or two if you like it sticky. You don't have a slow cooking oven? You should get one. It keeps the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

• Like 1

Is a “slow cooking oven” the same as a crockpot Aka slow cooker?  If so then yes, I live by my crockpot, do most of my cooking there.  Will try the rice toasting thing, that sounds interesting.  Actually, will try all those suggestions, it’s funny that everyone has their own favorite method and they are all different.

I might even have run across a Zojirushi that I forgot I bought, should start using it.

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Is a “slow cooking oven” the same as a crockpot Aka slow cooker?

No. A slow cooking oven in a cast iron oven that sits at about 250F and cooks with radiant heat. I was joking that you should get one. Though I do like mine :)

Edited by dsavitsk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1