Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Put a brisket on at 8am, just pulled the last piece off at 5:30.  I cut it into three sections based on thickness to see if I could time things better than just running the whole thing until the thickest part was done.  Homemade mac and cheese is in the oven, slaw is curing in the fridge, dinner should be alright.

• Like 5

It's not. It's  Chorizo con Huevos. 😛

Seriously though, this is the dish I learned in college. My first year was at a city college in Brownsville Texas, one block from the Mexico border. The ladies in the cafeteria all came across the border to work. This was served every morning, and I loved it. It was also my first experience with fajitas. The school sucked, but the food was delicious!

• Like 2

Chorizo in Spain is a grocery product, a kind of sausage with the stuffing into guts, made with pork meat and fat somewhat marinated with lots of paprika, hence the red color. Some types must be cooked, so you eat them with eggs, potatoes into a garbanzo or bean stew, with migas... but other types are cured and are eaten like ham or salami. In most South America countries they call chorizo to very different things, in some countries it's a kind of sausage but different to the Spanish type, or even a minced meat cured or marinated. Either way it's usually delicious :D

• Like 3

Using some of last week's brisket, I'm attempting Texas-style brisket chili for the first time in the new dutch oven.  I added some sausage as well because multiple animals make for better chili, in my opinion. 

Meat/Onion/Garlic Phase

561438D6-41B5-40BD-8317-F5193CA1B8B1_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.473b22b15cb6025e1c837e72afa6ecf5.jpeg

Tomatoes and seasoning added.

95A72D31-01F8-4D19-9F50-1596D015E991_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4f502d4238a9479655c381772d6bc4fb.jpeg

Now just a matter of letting it simmer for 6 or 7 hours and some cast-iron-skillet cornbread will be made later.

• Like 4

My landlord Dave's wife is in Hawaii, so the permanent and the temporary batchelors are having Migas for breakfast. 

20220206_080232.jpg

Corn tortillas cut into strips and crisped in a bit of oil. Scallions and Orange bell pepper sauted with a little scorch. Tomatoes and avocado, chorizo and of course eggs.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 11:15 AM, Torpedo said:

LM7Zcan.jpg

My take on Spanish style huevos con chorizo with Central American chorizo while in Tahoe for ski week. My eggs slipped before my photo opportunity but the flavor was great and the papas fritas were a big hit. Thanks for the inspiration Antonio and Steve.

2B11AE3B-49E7-4D3A-B946-13C526A7F0AB.thumb.jpeg.8c0ac2cc0811f8c16bd43d9ef8d97c11.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Not really “cooking,” but I’m fermenting for the first time in a while. Some sort of heritage cabbage Heather got from her local farmer’s market in North Carolina. I let it sit in my fridge, which was a mistake, as it lost moisture.

I had a fix: I made a tea with bay leaves and added that, along with roasted fennel seed. I imagine it’ll be quite good.

DF3154D5-817E-423F-942B-CC71B7239BC2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 5:40 AM, EdipisReks1 said:

Not really “cooking,” but I’m fermenting for the first time in a while. Some sort of heritage cabbage Heather got from her local farmer’s market in North Carolina. I let it sit in my fridge, which was a mistake, as it lost moisture.

I had a fix: I made a tea with bay leaves and added that, along with roasted fennel seed. I imagine it’ll be quite good.

DF3154D5-817E-423F-942B-CC71B7239BC2.jpeg

Try your hand at Kimchi and I will be your friend for life.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided that I wanted an omelet. I had an onion that I needed to use up, so I set my pan on low and caramelized the onion over about 50 minutes. I wanted some bacon in it, but didn't have any on hand. I did however have a can of Spam on my shelf. I've had fried spam, and it's OK, but for some reason I thought I might try grating the Spam and crisping it. That worked really well, and actually tastes more like bacon than Spam. The texture is great. The addition of Swiss cheese tops it off.

20220521_131833.jpg

20220521_132625.thumb.jpg.c0dafd2a28672b215ab34b1beb5ee234.jpg

20220521_131838.jpg

20220521_140229.jpg

The onion shot was at the beginning of carmelizing.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 5

I couldn't find a reasonably sized 100% grass-fed brisket, but I did find an extra-thick (2.5 cm?) London Broil.

Embedded about 42 garlic spikes (it looked like a porcupine or graph paper), encrusted it with pepper (black, white, and pink), other spices, and herbs, let sit for 24 hours or so, then cooked at the lowest setting (225-ish) for about 45 minutes, wrapped in baking parchment and tin foil to keep in the moisture, and it came out super delicious and perfect.

Is making about 7 meals.

Definitely doing this again.

• 2 weeks later...