Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Steve will not like the timing of this one, because it's one of his favorites. I made Japanese curry with chicken, potatoes and carrots using the frozen curry blocks I made a couple of years ago. The blocks did not suffer from their long rest, and I have a few more blocks, so I can make it again when Steve is here. 😁

673E936D-4CEF-4A64-8343-706D0AE2068C.thumb.jpeg.f9e69bf6f77e0e2599240064a5d5a024.jpeg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Voltron said:

Steve will not like the timing of this one, because it's one of his favorites. I made Japanese curry with chicken, potatoes and carrots using the frozen curry blocks I made a couple of years ago. The blocks did not suffer from their long rest, and I have a few more blocks, so I can make it again when Steve is here. 😁

Share the recipe, Al?  Pardon if you've already done so but I've been on the hunt for a curry recipe to try lately.

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE SPICE MIX:

• 1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick, pounded into small pieces
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
  • 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
  • ½ teaspoon whole cloves
  • 2 cardamom pods
  • 1 dried shiitake mushroom, broken into pieces
  • 1 (1-inch strip) dried kombu, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 ½ teaspoons whole black peppercorns
  • 1 orange, zested
  • 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste

FOR THE ROUX:

• 1 ½ cups/340 grams unsalted butter (3 sticks)
  • 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
Add to Your Grocery List

PREPARATION

1. In a large skillet, toast cinnamon, bay leaf, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, cloves and cardamom pods over medium heat, stirring until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the spices. Transfer the toasted ingredients to a spice grinder.
  2. Add the mushroom, kombu and peppercorns to the spice grinder, and grind at the highest speed for 30 seconds. Shake the grinder a couple of times as you blend to make sure the cinnamon stick is pulverized. (You can also grind the spices in batches, if necessary.) Transfer the pulverized spices to a small bowl. Add the orange zest, turmeric, ginger, sea salt, paprika and cayenne pepper.
  3. To make the roux, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When the butter is nearly melted, lower the heat to medium-low. Gradually whisk in the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the roux turns light brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Be careful not to burn the roux. Turn off the heat, add the spice mix and stir until well combined.
  4. Divide the mixture among three mini aluminum loaf pans, adding about 3/4 cup per loaf pan, or transfer the entire mixture to a parchment-lined quarter-size sheet tray. Let cool for a few minutes at room temperature, then transfer to the fridge so the bricks can solidify. Once firm, unmold, cut each brick into 9 small curry brick cubes (or, if using a sheet tray, cut the mixture into 27 pieces total) and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for about a month or in the freezer for 3 months.
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, velomane said:

How does this compare to the Gliko stuff from my local asian grocer?

Only way to answer that is make it and decide for yourself.  Seriously though, it's a pretty rare exception that homemade stuff (especially a reputable recipe) ends up worse than the commercial equivalent.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...