Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure of the difference between dry and dehydrated beans, but they can be presoaked to cook faster if you wish. I rinsed and soaked for maybe an hour before starting to cook them. I almost blew it because I got involved in something else and returned to the kitchen shortly before all the water was gone. They were great in this stew and I have another container left over that I'm going to turn into refried beans. :wub:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Voltron said:

I'm not sure of the difference between dry and dehydrated beans, but they can be presoaked to cook faster if you wish. I rinsed and soaked for maybe an hour before starting to cook them. I almost blew it because I got involved in something else and returned to the kitchen shortly before all the water was gone. They were great in this stew and I have another container left over that I'm going to turn into refried beans. :wub:

Thanks -- I also looked on their website, and realized, I'm more of a thick-skinned / retains-shape beans guy, so ordered a couple different bags of blacks and the like.  I will follow the directions for cooking -- they do look like more of a pre-soak long-term thing, so I will have to precook them before adding them to my goulash or chili, and maybe only cook them in-recipe for the last hour or so.

And yeah, I've done that, and recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Making Cauliflower Au Gratin for the first time.

I successfully made a smooth Bechamel sauce. Then turned that into a Mornay sauce. Blanched my Cauliflower florets. Combined all and refrigerated until time to bake for dinner at DOTU's this evening. 

20221023_105939.jpg

Three cheeses. Mozzarella, Monterey Jack and Parmigiano. 

I'm sure it will look better after baking.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I need a pulled pork barbecue slow cooker recipe that utilizes flavoured boutique balsamic vinegar and hot sauce ... and onions.  I might have to make something up, because the boutique balsamic vinegars I have are some very specific flavours.

I think your challenge here is that you are not going to get any of the "BBQ" flavor by only slow cooking the pulled pork in a instapot or crock pot. That's not to say that it might not be very tasty, the carnitas recipe that I use mostly cooks the pork in a slow cooker but still pan fries the pork at the end and for me, that makes all the difference.  Still, when I want BBQ pork, that's what I want.  If I were in your shoes I might try using the balsamic vinegar to make a BBQ sauce.  that sounds yummy to me.

Might be a start here - https://www.thereciperebel.com/honey-balsamic-pulled-pork/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, interesting, she crockpots the pork at the beginning, and doesn't sear it*...hmmm...I'm doing something similar, but going with your BBQ pulled pork idea, with some typical Dusty embellishments...will let you know how it turns out, but I think it's going to be tasty...

*I'll pass on the ketchup, though.  (involuntarily shudders)