Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Finally got to break out the smoker for the first time since I bought it a couple months ago.

@cetoole found pork shoulder for 99 cents/lb, so I got an 8-and-change pounder and broke it in.

I had a cayenne and garlic infused garlic honey that I've liked before spread over it and rubbed in, along with some brown sugar. Let it rest overnight uncovered in the fridge, ground some salt over it today while the smoker was going through its initial burn in/up process.

Have a learning curve (smaller-than-13-hour-hopper, so I ran out once), but... it doesn't suck.

HmMJBJR.jpg

vQ8qvAE.jpg

Rww2Dgf.jpg

cqCyOzh.jpg

• Like 6

Looks tasty!

Myself, I decided to go out to eat this morning. Went to the local Barefoot Cafe for Black Cat Benedict (known as Blackstone Benedict most places). Eggs Benedict with bacon and sliced tomato. It was delicious, but looking across the street at the Hummingbird Cafe got me thinking, what about a Cajun Blackstone Benedict? English muffin, thick Applewood smoked bacon and hollandaise, but with a fried Green tomato? Hummingbird has a Cajun BLT with fried Green tomato that is amazing. I might have to see if Michelle will make it for me. I think it would be incredible. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

Finally got to break out the smoker for the first time since I bought it a couple months ago.

@cetoole found pork shoulder for 99 cents/lb, so I got an 8-and-change pounder and broke it in.

I had a cayenne and garlic infused garlic honey that I've liked before spread over it and rubbed in, along with some brown sugar. Let it rest overnight uncovered in the fridge, ground some salt over it today while the smoker was going through its initial burn in/up process.

Have a learning curve (smaller-than-13-hour-hopper, so I ran out once), but... it doesn't suck.

HmMJBJR.jpg

vQ8qvAE.jpg

Rww2Dgf.jpg

cqCyOzh.jpg

Sorry the invite must have went into my spam folder.. ???

(looks good though)

• Haha 1

pulled pork loin/tenderloin

dry rub
fell asleep (8 hours or so?)
woke up, added tomato sauce, rocoto peppers, and (citrus?) flavoured balsamic vinegar
went about my day (a couple hours)
flipped everything
went about my day (a couple hours)
came back, and all the pork had dissolved -- I probably could have pulled them apart with a cheap, flacid, utensil

I think it came out better'n any brisket I've ever made, too -- wasn't quite spicy or tangy enough, so...

I ruined it -- added some beans, chipotle peppers, diced hot green chilies, now I need to add onions, garlic, and some more balsamic vinegar, maybe?  or lime juice...

Now (before onions) it's spicy enough but not tangy or sweet enough -- the onions will take care of the sweet, so maybe just some regular rice vinegar and call it done before I ruin it for real.

• Like 1

Prepping my contributions to the enormous Bedecarre clan Thanksgiving dinner.

First is Texas Trash (Chex mix).

Second is my best dish, and a holiday tradition in my family. My homemade macaroni and cheese. Guaranteed to clog at least one artery. 4.5 lbs. Cheese (Tillamook cheddar and pepper jack) 1 qt. heavy cream, 1 qt. sour cream, 1 lb. bacon (crumbled) and 2 lbs. macaroni.

Third is a recipe I've not made before. An internet find. Roasted Brussel Sprouts with browned buttered hazelnuts and pickled shallots. 

Edited by swt61
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I used the last of my truffle salt this evening on my pasta. Any recommendations for a reputable truffle shipper or a truffle salt. We are at the end of truffle season so I am guessing truffle salt is my only option. So far Urbani is the lead for truffle salt but I would like to try others. Any recommendations?

13 hours ago, Augsburger said:

I used the last of my truffle salt this evening on my pasta. Any recommendations for a reputable truffle shipper or a truffle salt. We are at the end of truffle season so I am guessing truffle salt is my only option. So far Urbani is the lead for truffle salt but I would like to try others. Any recommendations?

Truffle oil is also an excellent seasoning which can easily be homemade. Virgin olive oil and a little bit of truffle, that's all you need. Use it for pasta, salads, meat... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1