Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Cheese Buldak. The rice cakes were sticks and looked like marshmallows poking out under the charred cheese. Divine, if I do say so myself.

1AD0706B-1F33-4732-9677-477E71B34C85.jpeg

Dusty want.  (Being lactose intolerant, I need to find a nice replacement for the cheese, while still retaining a bed for the green onions and the complimentary mellowing effect of the cheese...because that looks divine, and I ain't even hungry...)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cut and started an onion for tonight's dinner of, steak, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, sautéed mushrooms and caramelized onion.

I like to cook the onion really low and slow. I use a mixture of EVOO and butter. It'll take 1.45 - 2 hrs. But it's always worth the effort. 

20230527_141305.jpg

• Like 1

Just started a large pot of Pinto beans, and just mixed up a large pan of corn bread. 

It's my favorite meal, and I'm making enough to eat off of all week, or freeze some.

20230530_143159.jpg

The hamhock is buried, but it's there.

My Mother's recipe uses chili powder, but I prefer it without. Salt, pepper and minced garlic are my preferred seasonings.

• Like 3

I like to start my beans on high, get them to a boil, then crank them down to medium low and cover.

If you're not careful you can burn the beans on the bottom. However, even if you do all is not lost. Adding about a tablespoon of peanut butter to the pot and mixing it thoroughly will take away the burnt taste. I learned this at my parents Mexican food restaurant many decades ago.

The cornbread is done, and is lonely. It'll be about 3 more hours until it gets to unite with the beans. Longer if you don't soak your beans for several hours first.

20230530_145719.jpg

• Like 5

I've been charged with making my own Father's Day dinner so why not make it absurdly complicated?  

Fondant Potatoes

image.jpeg

Not pictured are the short ribs that are resting, having come off of the smoker approximately 30 minutes ago.  Dinner should wrap together nicely at 7pm.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1