Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

A giant pot of chili. It's been simmering for ...over 8 hours now.

I did the same last night. Buy 1 get 1 free chuck roasts, 3 lbs each. Simmered mine for about 6 hours, turned out quite nice. First time I've made a real Texas beanless chili. Looked up several recipes and took the elements that I liked best and adjusted to what I had on hand. Roasted up a dozen fresh Tien Tsin peppers and ground them up. Love the flavor they give when roasted. Adjusted the heat to exactly where I wanted it with Sriracha sauce. Of course tons of dry spices too, and 4 huge yellow onions. Got 3 quarts in the freezer and another 2 in the fridge.

I really should make bread more often. I've got my mom's old Kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook so that part is easy to do. When I was a kid she got one of those basic bread machines which only lasted a while before she went for the hands on method, including a grain mill. We pretty much always had fresh bread in the house.

Edited by NightWoundsTime

I'm going to attempt to make some bread. I figured I'd start off with the simplest approach possible with something that uses my new dutch oven. I'm going to try this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=1

I'd highly recommend the Bread Baker's Apprentice, even if you don't end up making any of the recipes, it is still provides valuable insights into the science behind bread, which I think would make any recipe more successful.

The recipe you mentioned is good, another easy one which my wife and I like a lot is Vegan Beer Bread.

I'm trying a new side dish that I've been putting together in my head for a few days. Stuffed Portobello mushroom caps. Stuffed with Blue cheese, diced apple, diced glazed pecans, a drizzle of olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I mixed all stuffing ingredients together, then spooned into the caps. I'm baking them at 350 for about 25 minutes. Hopefully they turn out as good as my mind says they should.

I'm trying a new side dish that I've been putting together in my head for a few days. Stuffed Portobello mushroom caps. Stuffed with Blue cheese, diced apple, diced glazed pecans, a drizzle of olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I mixed all stuffing ingredients together, then spooned into the caps. I'm baking them at 350 for about 25 minutes. Hopefully they turn out as good as my mind says they should.

Needs more bacon.