What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Marc: What does your weird concoction taste like?

Both are nice. I bet the Casa Noble Anjeo would be even better. In the second, believe it or not the rum takes a back seat compared to the other items, but it works to balance out the forward rum.

Try them in small amounts :)

Edited by luvdunhill

Nice Shelly, have you had the Redbreast 12? Wondering how the 15 compares to the 12.

Your making a significant dent in the Anvil list the last few days Marc.

Starting with a Blood and Sand tonight.

1 oz Asyla Scotch (including unicorn dust)

1 oz Orange Juice

3/4 oz Carpano Antica

3/4 oz Cherry Heering

Shake the bloody beejebus out orbit and strain into a glass. Add a couple of cherries and enjoy.

IMG_0089.jpg

Actually drinking the second one as the first must have evaporated.

Nice Shelly, have you had the Redbreast 12? Wondering how the 15 compares to the 12.

Your making a significant dent in the Anvil list the last few days Marc.

Starting with a Blood and Sand tonight.

1 oz Asyla Scotch (including unicorn dust)

1 oz Orange Juice

3/4 oz Carpano Antica

3/4 oz Cherry Heering

Shake the bloody beejebus out orbit and strain into a glass. Add a couple of cherries and enjoy.

IMG_0089.jpg

Actually drinking the second one as the first must have evaporated.

Had the Redbreast 12 in Tampa (I think that was the 12) which is what convinced me to buy the 15. I think the 15 is slightly smoother but that could be my imagination. I obviously should have bought the 12 and 15 to compare. :)

Marc is kicking my butt on the Anvil list I imagine. How many left Marc?

Nice Blood and Sand!

I like the Perucchi vermouths, Shelly. The red is a bit spicy/botanical and not too sweet, and the blanco is sweetish like the Dolin blanc but more spice notes. I have not tried the extra dry, which you will know by the "extra dry" sticker and nothing else on the label, apparently.

Feeling a bit sad that Underhill Lounge is down to 2 cocktails left on the original Savoy list. Pretty amazing he has been at since June 2006. I am going to mix up the third from the end, a Zaza according to the slight Underhill variation:

"Zaza Cocktail

1/2 Dubonnet. (1 1/2 oz Dubonnet Rouge)

1/2 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz Junipero Gin)

(1 dash Angostura Bitters)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. (Squeeze lemon peel over glass and drop in.)

Source: Hugo Ensslin, “Recipes for Mixed Drinks” 1916-1917

Like the first time I made this, oh so many years ago, as the Dubonnet Cocktail, I found the mixture of half gin and half Dubonnet Rouge a bit plain. Thus, I always feel a bit justified in adding a dash of bitters and a citrus peel to the drink.

Definitely cures the plain Jane nature of this cocktail and slightly elevates it."

Edited by Voltron

So, going to Underhill Lounge reminded me of another blog linked there called A Mountain of Shaved Ice, and there was a recipe I wanted to try that I think Marc would really like. I went with the latter of these two, which is very tasty with Zacapa 23:

THE CRIMSON SLIPPERS COCKTAIL

Ice cubes

2 ounces dark rum

1 ounce Campari

1/2 ounce homemade triple sec

1 dash bitters

Lime slice, for garnish

1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway up with ice cubes. Add the rum, Campari, triple sec, and bitters. Shake well.

2. Strain into a cocktail glass. Squeeze the lime slice over the glass and drop it in.

From Cold Glass:

2½ oz dark rum (Appleton Estate 12)

1 oz Campari

¼ oz Cointreau

2–3 dashes Peychaud’s bitters

Stir until quite cold; strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Express and garnish with lime.

web.jpg?ver=12994788890001

Marc is kicking my butt on the Anvil list I imagine. How many left Marc?

I have tried 45%. I'm not going to reuse from Forgotten, as if the drink is in two places it's probably worth having twice. That being said, I am free to take liberties in this case ifthe mood strikes :)

Al, yeah that looks nice! The Campari-Rum and Campari-Tequila interactions do indeed work. I'll give that one a go!

So, going to Underhill Lounge reminded me of another blog linked there called A Mountain of Shaved Ice, and there was a recipe I wanted to try that I think Marc would really like. I went with the latter of these two, which is very tasty with Zacapa 23:

THE CRIMSON SLIPPERS COCKTAIL

Ice cubes

2 ounces dark rum

1 ounce Campari

1/2 ounce homemade triple sec

1 dash bitters

Lime slice, for garnish

1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway up with ice cubes. Add the rum, Campari, triple sec, and bitters. Shake well.

2. Strain into a cocktail glass. Squeeze the lime slice over the glass and drop it in.

From Cold Glass:

2½ oz dark rum (Appleton Estate 12)

1 oz Campari

¼ oz Cointreau

2–3 dashes Peychaud’s bitters

Stir until quite cold; strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Express and garnish with lime.

web.jpg?ver=12994788890001

Good timing. Decided to try the second one with a new bottle of Zacapa.

IMG_0090.jpg

Tasty!

Nice Jim! I got pretty snockered with 3 drinks in quick succession last night after going to see Rango with the boy child. I really do think it is tasty, though, and will try the first recipe momentarily.

The Old Pal is just that, a nice little cocktail to have in the repertoire and revisit again and again.

Earlier this evening, I made a Liberal cocktail using the approved HC ratios. Very nice.

web.jpg?ver=12995565140001

Edited by Voltron

After Al's cocktail above, namely the Crimson Slipper (nice! Different than what i proposed, but very nice! I think I prefer the Tequila-Campari though, and really want to try it with an Anjeo) I went with:

Monte Carlo Cocktail

2 oz rye

0.5 oz Benedictine

2 dashes angostura

Stir with ice and serve.

4ac15198-b099-5f84.jpg

I think I prefer this to the Old Pal. I think I just really like Benedictine!

Edited by luvdunhill

Heh, 7 1/2 oz of rum will tend to do that Al. But they do go down easy.

The Three to One Cocktail

3 oz Junipero Gin

1 1/2 oz Rothman and Winter Orchard Apricot

1 oz Key Lime Juice

Shake and double strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.

IMG_0092.jpg