What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

I picked up a bottle of unaged rye whiskey made in SF today, and plan to taste a bit later. Here is a stock photo:

1512-barbershop.jpg

I just made another Hotel Georgia with less orange flower water than my first attempt (still not sure how many drops) and with about half an egg white. Both are improvements.

Nice rye selection Mikey. I am a big fan of the Rendevous.

A nice looking Sazerac Shelly. The absinthe looks interesting. The Martini looks pretty good too.

Al: Your unaged rye looks a lot like the Wasmund's I tried a while back. Hopefully your barber produced a tastier batch. The Hotel Georgia Cocktail looks pretty dam good and I like dreamsicles.

Since it is hot as hell here I decided to go with a Carbonated Piston Slinger

2 oz 151-proof Demerara rum (I only had 126 proof so upped it to 2 1/2 oz)

3/4 oz sloe gin

3/4 oz lime juice

a Maraschino cherry (apply as garnish before serving).

a lime wedge (apply as garnish before serving).

Shake with ice and strain into an ice-filled collins glass.

Top with club soda.

9b928961.jpg

Edited by morphsci

The other single I have open:

--> Four Roses Single 73-4C 60% (OESK)

The First was Binny's (chicago) this one is local -- Traverso's

IMG_0040.jpg

The Mash

IMG_0041.jpg

I have to say that I like this one a bit better that is for sure...

Edited by mikeymad

This Four Roses Single Barrels look awesome. Nice choices.

I decided to steal one off of Marc's PGE list. Rhum Old Fashioned.

2 oz Depaz Blue Cane Rhum Agricole

1 sugar cube

A few dashes Bitter Truth Creole Bitters

Muddle sugar cube and bitters. Add Rhum and 1 king cube. Garnish with lime wedge and orange wheel. Inhale.

757c6593.jpg

Damn those creole bitters are red!

A mission I wish to confer upon you fine mixologists: Long Island Ice Tea (or variant) made purely out of 7 liquors -- no "coke" or anything for color. My google-fu is failing me. Feel free to consult with your favorite bartender the next time you're in an actual bar. It'd probably have to be an older one, because right around the time I started drinking them ('81 or so?) is when they felt they had to start doctoring them so that they weren't pure alcohol.

I'm pretty sure that Long Island Iced Tea always had a bit of cola for coloring. The following is from Esquire.

Did you know it's National Iced Tea Month? Didn't think so. But this occasion gives us a chance to reconsider one of the most maligned summer cocktails in American history, the Long Island Iced Tea, which has been the butt of jokes everywhere from New York speakeasies to The Simpsons. It's known less as a drink than a way of getting drunk: a sugary but powerfully alcoholic concoction of cola and just about every house liquor behind the bar.

But is it really that bad? Recently, it seems like bartenders have backed away from ritual mocking of the drink. You can find a version at David Chang's Ma Peche in New York City, and even Ina Garten makes her own variation. According to Esquire drinks correspondent David Wondrich, enjoying a Long Island is all about not taking yourself too seriously: "It's not the worst drink in existence. It is, however, strong and trashy." Which means, yes, you should probably be drinking something else, but as long as you're doing it, you might as well do it right. Wondrich has his own "fancy" version, which is like the classic but with better brands. You can find the recipe below. Just don't blame him for what happens — this isn't one he likes to claim responsibility for. "As a proud-ish son of Long Island, I wish it had been invented on the Jersey Shore."

The David Wondrich Long Island Iced Tea

Shake well with plenty of ice:

1/2 oz Absolut vodka

1/2 oz Beefeater gin

1/2 oz Don Q white rum

1/2 oz Milagro blanco tequila

1/2 oz Cointreau

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons simple syrup (equal parts water and sugar)

Strain into an ice-filled Collins glass. Top off with 1/2 oz Coca-Cola. Garnish with a lemon wedge and add a straw.

The 1512 Barbershop has a fresh grass/grain and fruity nose like other white whiskies and rhum agricoles, but there are no sour notes like I get from some unaged spirits. The rye bite is there and the flavor of rye grain is dominant. It has some pepper tones and a sweet alcohol burn. Very nice all around and I'm very happy I listened to Amy at Cask.

The 1512 Barbershop has a fresh grass/grain and fruity nose like other white whiskies and rhum agricoles, but there are no sour notes like I get from some unaged spirits. The rye bite is there and the flavor of rye grain is dominant. It has some pepper tones and a sweet alcohol burn. Very nice all around and I'm very happy I listened to Amy at Cask.

cool