What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

I would probably like the Espolon if I had it on its own. It just can't compete when sipped next to some others. It certainly holds its own next to Herradura anejo which is a lot more expensive.

I'd be interested to try the Coruba if I see it here.

Edited by shellylh

I met up with Brian/BHJazz and his lovely wife Lisa at Jasper's Corner Tap for a couple of drinks. I started with a Cloudkicker, which is a confection of gin, cynar, chartreuse, and campari and then I had an End of the Affair, which has Dry sherry, Hennessey Cognac, Rocky’s Bitters, honey, and champagne or something like that. Brian started with a rum swizzle and then had an Old Speckled Hen, while Lisa stuck to white wine. Good times catching up after four years since I last saw them at HeadFest in 2007.

Now having a High Water Hop Riot back in Mayberry. Cheers Brian and Lisa! And nice looking cocktails and whiskies tonight, btw!

Well, the three of us really had a great time. Agree that it was nice to catch up in person as opposed to being online. Al, you are very generous, and Lisa told I don't know how many people back home what a genuinely nice guy you are. Good times!

I forgot the name of the drink I had at Jasper's, but I was craving it for days after. The mint leaves and bitters just set up so well togther. Damn. I had a few other cocktails in SF (and not nearly enough, really) but that one was the star. The follow-up with the UK Old Speckled Hen was just smooth and earthy. As we had skipped lunch from being out all day, this was a nice kick to late afternoon and I wandered back to crazy street (Powell) with a goofy grin.

Cheers, Al! (I toast with my soda, now back at work...........*sigh*)

I didn't know you guys skipped lunch too! We should have eaten some snacks or something, but I'm sure it made the buzz that much cleaner. grin.gif

Here's the drink you had from their menu:

Queen’s Park Swizzle

Bacardi 8 Rum, lime, demerara, Angostura bitters, mint

Named after the Queen’s Park Hotel in Trinidad’s Port of Spain, native San Francisco son, Trader Vic, called this drink ‚the most delightful form of anesthesia given out today‛ We hope you agree! Served in a Collins.

To make this at home, you will need to make some Demerara syrup. Demerara sugar is also known as Turbinado sugar, like the "Sugar in the Raw" brand. Mix 2 parts sugar to 1 part warm water and that's it. In a collins glass, mix 2-3oz of aged rum, .5-1oz lime, .5-1oz demerara syrup, and 4-5 mint leaves. Muddle the mint into the liquid a bit. Fill the glass with crushed ice, swizzle the ingredients until the glass frosts. Then liberally dash Angostura bitters on top, like 3-5 dashes, and garnish with mint sprig. The ranges are for your preferences of booziness, tartness, and/or sweetness. I would go with 3oz rum, .75oz lime and .50oz sugar syrup.

Cheers!

Speaking of Claret's-------

coppola_claret_08.jpg

As you can see, Coppola Diamond Collection Black Label Claret. A bit disappointing upon opening but this young Cab is starting to open itself and is getting better. Still wished I opened the 2007 Padrone Cab instead but life is full of segways. *25 minutes later, uhhhmmmm not bad*

Mehhhhhh, the Malbec and Cab Franc are overpowering the Cabernet, very unbalanced at this point.

Edited by Augsburger

1805639f-a897-2a26.jpg

Hollinger Manhattan Project

(also called Dirty Harry on the JW Marriott San Francisco’s Level III bar menu)

2oz Rittenhouse Rye

.5oz Cocchi Torino

.25oz Luxardo Maraschino

Opaline Absinthe rinse

Housemade or Luxardo maraschino cherry

In a mixing glass, add Rittenhouse, Cocchi and Maraschino liqueur. Top with ice and stir for 15 seconds. Spray the inside of a chilled cocktail glass with the absinthe to coat. Julep strain the cocktail and garnish with a house-made or Luxardo maraschino cherry.

Glad you like the GC Shelly.