What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

The Derby

1 oz Blanton's Bourbon

1/2 oz Cocchi di Torino sweet vermouth

1/2 oz Senor Curacao

1/2 oz lime juice (recipe called for 3/4 oz but I like it this way)

Should garnish with a spring of mint but I didn't have one.

This is a nice drink but would probably be better with a better orange liqueur. I tried to stick with a "true" curacao but the Senor Curacao just doesn't hold up to any of the other orange liqueurs I have in the house. Still a nice drink.

Funny you mention that. I bartended over the weekend and probably make 20 of those. That, and the Communist were by far my most popular drinks.

I did some playing around with the Derby and found that the Napoleon works well in it, in fact that's the only drink I really prefer it in so far. For bourbon, most people preferred Blanton's, compared to the other things I had on hand. Anyways, I was surprised it was so popular, in fact a few people asked to taste the ingredients seperately, and they said that the Cocchi and PeM was the subtle flavor that they really liked in the drink.

I don't know how many of you can get Sweetwater beers but they've been cranking out a few interesting new brews in their Dank Tank series. Popped a Crank Tank Rye'd Ale last night. Awesome west coast style IPA, very comparable to Hop Rod. Picked up a bomber for $6, I think I'm going back soon to work out a deal on a case.

I don't know how many of you can get Sweetwater beers but they've been cranking out a few interesting new brews in their Dank Tank series. Popped a Crank Tank Rye'd Ale last night. Awesome west coast style IPA, very comparable to Hop Rod. Picked up a bomber for $6, I think I'm going back soon to work out a deal on a case.

I'm looking forward to the bomber of ghoulash black IPA. I'm hearing that it is very hoppy.

The Avenue

1 oz Blanton's bourbon

1 oz Daron Calvados XO

0.75 Passion Fruit syrup (sub for 1 oz passion fruit juice)

1 dash pomagranate juice (sub for Grenadine since I was using p.f. syrup)

1 squeeze of lemon juice (to cut the sweetness of the p.f. syrup)

1 dash Fee Bros orange flower water

8NCpB.jpg

How is that John?

Pretty tasty. The St. Germain elderflower taste is pretty subtle next to the bourbon, but it's just enough to make it interesting. I used the recipe on their web site; I think next time I'll increase the St. Germain just a bit.

Edited by jvlgato

Crap, I'm drinking a Cuba Libre with dark Bacardi (the only thing it is good for) and it has a strange iodine aftertaste. Got to switch to the spiced/golden Captain Morgan.

Btw, has any of you guys tried the soapstone cubes for cooling drinks? Do they alter the taste in any way? I might get some of those for Christmas to my friends.

Yea, as I said, drinking in Iceland is not too wallet friendly. Tax politics are used to decrease alcohol consumption and I can't say that the choice of rums is really good. But Bacardi/Cpt. Morgan/Old Captain are okayish when mixed with coke and lime, though I immensely prefer Havana Club for that.

And I didn't came here to get drunk! I came here drink from the chalice of wisdom, but it mixes very good with wines unfortunately.