slower forum

Knuckledragger

Watch about 40 sec in.....

[media=]

Classic oversteer while accelerating. Dumb move. One of the first things I learned with the Atom is that you can't be turning the wheel (even a little) at the same time that you're getting on the gas while driving at slow speeds. There's just too far much power at the rear axle. It's different once you're up to a higher speed because you have momentum that will counteract the oversteer and give the rear wheels more grip. You can then lighten up on your grip of the steering wheel a bit and it will self-correct with counter-steer.

My basic rule now is no hard acceleration at slow speeds unless the steering wheel is perfectly straight. When taking a turn like that, you have to ease onto the throttle and be light on your steering wheel grip. I really feel for the guy. He's got damage on the front, on both sides, and even to his ego!

What's more impressive is I believe that car is 4wd. Guy figured he could power through and messed up. At least he countersteers a bit but forgets the part about letting up on the gas.

Wow! Didn't realize that was a 4WD. That's even more messed up then in terms of his driving. When they've got power going to them, wherever you point the wheels is where they're going! Now I don't feel so sorry for him.

The main reason Lambo makes 4WD drive models is an attempt to control the insane amounts of torque that their V12s produce. Of course, no amount of engineering can counteract driver stupidity. As soon as something is made idiot proof, a better idiot comes along.

2NyOi.gif

53cpE.jpg

N9ybn.jpg

M21JG.jpg

k3wNx.jpg

nHaev.jpg

When I posted this originally, I forgot to include my notes on it. It's Midtown Manhattan (durr) in 1939, taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt. It shows a profound knowledge of architectural photography as well as great skill in composition, exposure and printing. You can see just a tiny bit of shadow in the upper right corner which is the result of the image circle provided by the lens failing to cover the entirety of the film frame. This is a result of pretty substantial lens shifting in order to produce correct perspective. Notice how the skyscrapers appear to be standing bolt upright and not falling over backwards? That is the result of careful adjustment with a 1930s large format technical camera (or as it was known at the time, 'a camera.')

Eisenstaedt had quite a career as a photographer, and he's really not known for his architectural work. He photographed the moment Hilter and Mussolini met for the first time:

hWIRL.jpg

That historical moment would the make a name for any photographer, but it's still not Eisenstaedt's most famous frame. That'd be his iconic V-J Day photo:

HY0de.jpg

Even people who know nothing of history or photography recognize this shot.

Old Alfred was born in the end of 1898 and lived until 1995, spending his later years in my stomping ground: Martha's Vineyard.

trgoN.jpg

Tisbury, MA, 1969.

This is to say nothing of his glamour shots in the 50s (Marilyn Monroe, etc) and countless other works. His final photographic subject was the Clinton family, vacationing on the Vineyard in 1994:

JQa3o.jpg

If I live to be twice as old as Alfred, I'll never been 1/10th the photographer he was, but it's good to have icons like him as a source for inspiration.

• Like 1

No problem. I'd go check it out and try to photograph it myself when I head out there next month, but I'm afraid it's on private property. Up Island has become the Hamptons of the Vineyard. facepalm.png

Tangent: For about a decade now, I've wanted to run an web-based record label out of Chilmark, MA called "Chill*Mark" that specializes in downtempo. Unfortunately, Chilmark is the most expensive town on the Vineyard, for a host of reasons (not the least of which is that it has the only nude beach on the island.) Even getting a PO box is a Herculean task. Most of my MV relatives are either dead or have moved off island at this point, but when I asked one of the few remaining relations about getting a box there, she laughed at me.

sAQgB.jpg

mdaP2.gif

xWaGV.jpg

gFjwE.jpg

HXZ35.jpg

bFFEt.jpg