slower forum

Knuckledragger

For the hell of it I Googled that joke. It's seems "23" wasn't quite funny enough, so it morphed to "12" somewhere along the last two years. Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums & V-Twin Forum: Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums both went for the jugular with "2 or 3". Predicting "couldn't find any" hits in 2014.

As a person with many relatives and friends who are not caucasian and are legal citizens that live in and/or are from Los Angeles, I disapprove of the above.

Well actually I don't really care, it's just not humorous.

Read it again.  It doesn't say anything about "look like" and doesn't even suggest racial profiling.  It says they are going to kill "anyone who is a legal U.S. citizen."  So no worries.  Your relatives and friends will be Ok.  What's not humorous is 13 million illegal aliens in the U.S., and a high concentration of them are in the L.A. area, Phoenix, Miami, etc.  It's not even a political statement because the responsibility lies with both parties, neither of which has done much to get the situation under control.

Read it again.  It doesn't say anything about "look like" and doesn't even suggest racial profiling.  It says they are going to kill "anyone who is a legal U.S. citizen."  So no worries.  Your relatives and friends will be Ok.  What's not humorous is 13 million illegal aliens in the U.S., and a high concentration of them are in the L.A. area, Phoenix, Miami, etc.  It's not even a political statement because the responsibility lies with both parties, neither of which has done much to get the situation under control.

Just the idea of there being anything close to only 12 legal citizens in LA for said hypothetical "extremist Muslims" to kill, or even that there are more illegal citizens than legal is--while the point of the joke--just flabbergastingly wrong. I can count at least 12 citizens I know that live or have lived there, none of whom I wish to imagine killed by Muslims. I agree there is some serious need for immigration reform, which has been a long time coming, but let's be honest: there is widespread corruption going on throughout our government, from top to bottom, and most politicians are far more concerned about getting reelected by constituency than anything else. The hilarious gerrymandering of my home state MD is certain proof of that. The Latino vote is very influential especially in the aforementioned states with high concentrations of illegals, which means an understandable but unforgiven lack of passed legislature.

There are so many important issues at hand like the passing of the Monsanto bill, immigration reform, and, until Rand Paul made his stand, the checks and balances afforded to the executive branch by the Constitution, that have been swept under the rug while such little progress has been made debating at length the amelioration of US debt and gun control laws. As to what I think about the debt and raising taxes, I think this article speaks for itself: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/21/pentagon-handed-out-419-million-in-improper-travel/

post-1454-0-53259500-1369026413_thumb.jp

Geez, this really wasn't about killing your friends, or killing anybody for that matter.  

I saw it merely as social commentary about the illegal immigration issue, which has become a real problem in the US in my opinion, and that millions of other Americans of every race, creed, color, and/or political persuasion.  Yet, even with respect to that issue, this particular comment was more of a "rolling of the eyes" than anything.  I didn't find it particularly zenophobic and I know well it's like to live in a country that I'm not from originally.

The joke has an immigration slant not a killing slant.  The Jihadi part is to get your attention and the zinger is the small number of legals.  Classic zig-zag joke.  Whether or not it is offensive is up to the person reading the joke.

Edit: Wmcmanus beat me...

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Sure, why not. I've dealt with enough xenophobia/racism from all sides to pretend it isn't a big deal, and enough deaths of people close to me to find jokes like this humorous. Wayne certainly has reason to come to a similar conclusion and he doesn't, so that's that. I'm out.

Did you know that hat sizes are determined by measuring the circumference of your head (about one inch above the ears) and dividing the result in inches by pi?  I did not know that.  I believe that's the first time I've ever run across a practical application of pi (to my life anyway, at least to my knowledge, which admittedly is quite limited).

Edit:  Just Googled it and see that this is actually definitional with respect to circumference, diameter and pi, but I guess I must admit it has been a long time since I took a math class, although I did have 4 years in high school and another year in college, but that was a long, long time ago and I forgot everything about pi (like what it's used for) except that it starts with 3.14 and never ends.

Edited by Wmcmanus