slower forum

Knuckledragger

On May 22, 1973 with David R. Boggs, I used my IBM Selectric with its Orator ball to type up a memo to my bosses at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), outlining our idea for this little invention called “Ethernet”, which we later patented.

I worked with the IEEE Standards Association to develop the IEEE 802.3 standard for Ethernet, which specifies the physical and lower software layers. Today Ethernet and the IEEE 802.3 standard are the foundation for today’s world of high-speed communications used in billions of homes and businesses around the world.

I submitted this to the mods awhile back so I could get on the calendar but I figured you’d like to see it, too. Now, ask me anything!

It's been two hours and 179 comments. Have to go now. For more about Ethernet's 40th Birthday, go to http://www.facebook.com/Ethernet40thAnniversaryIEEESA

Bob Metcalfe did an AMA on Reddit yesterday.  Turns out he's pretty cool and quite funny at times.

"The Internet needs less anonymity, because the first step toward savagery is the mask."

GAROMgQ.jpg

tghBKWm.jpg

This is pretty much the most awesome thing ever.

fohc3Zt.jpg

in2iemP.png

I was trying to look up the movie, "The Forgotten", and when I typed the first 3 words, I got this list:

Movie where people...
...pay with time
...live underground
...can't lie
...go blind
...buy time to live
...switch bodies
...are trapped in a house
...turn into cats
...lose their senses
...are hunted